Chapter Twenty Nine

Anastasia's Point Of View:

Taylor avoids any eye contact with me as I leave out of Christian's hospital room. I can't help but wonder what that's about.

I've spent the entire morning with Christian but, his doctor says he needs to rest. So, now I suppose I'll go back to Austin's house and hide out. I sigh as I enter the waiting room and find Austin sitting in a chair. He's hunched over, his elbows on his knees and his face buried in his hands.

"Are you okay, Austin?" I ask, squatting down in front of him.

He looks up at me with sad eyes but, gives me a small smile.

"I'll be okay. Are you ready to go or, would you like to stay longer?" Austin stands, running his hands through his hair.

I stand too and nod, "I'm ready to go. The doctor says he needs to rest. I'm just glad he's okay. I don't know how I would....if something happened to him...."

Austin stares at me for a beat, gently strokes the side of my face then, takes my hand and begins to walk at a fast pace.

"Whoa, Austin slow down. Where are we going?" I say as he drags me toward the elevator.

"You'll see." He smirks back at me and I can't help but smile back.

_____________

"Ahhh! Austin, stop! No, please not that! Anything but that!" I squeal as he picks me up and runs toward the Ferris Wheel.

"I am terrified of heights! Please!" I try to stop laughing long enough to escape from his grasp but, it's no use. He's got his arms locked around my waist.

Austin ended up bringing me to a carnival that was taking place in a park. It was to raise money for child cancer patients.

So far, we had rode the roller coaster, won a tiny stuffed turtle and, had more than our fair share of junk food.

The man woking the Ferris Wheel smiled as he took the six tickets from Austin and lifted up the bar on the cart we would be in.

I gave up struggling and began to pray that I made it off this thing alive.

Once we were both buckled in, the bar been brought down and locked, I gripped on to Austin's arm for dear life.

The ride lurched forward and we began our slow ascend to the top.

"Oh my God. Oh my God." I chant over and over.

Austin laughs as he playfully wraps an arm around me.

"Don't worry Ana, I got you."

I glance over at him and, his big brown eyes are shinning in the setting sunlight. For a moment, I can see it. Our enitre life together. How easy it would be to fall in love with him. Get married, having kids, never worrying if I'm good enough for him. And I hate to say it but, a small part of me wants it.

The ride jerks as it stops so, more people can get on board. It snaps me out of my trance and I focus my attention onto the view and keeping a tight grip on the bar in front of me.

The sun is setting in front of me. Below me, I see tiny humans, alone. in pairs, with friends, with family, all running free without a care. And I understand why Austin brought me here. He wanted to give me a chance to forget my worries, to have some fun.

The ride begins to move again and all I want is to go home, get in my own bed and, sleep.

When we get to the bottom, the man releases us and I am so tempted to kiss the ground.

"Better start heading back,,before it gets dark."

I nod in agreement and we head off toward the car.

______________

The house is lit up when we arrive. Austin parks right in front of the front door but, keeps the car running. He gets out and opens the passenger door for me. I step out and we both head inside.

Inside the foyer, I face Austin, "Thank you for, everything today. Especially the carnival, I needed that."

"Anytime." he whispers.

I feel it then, that pull towards him and, I give in to it. I step forward and Austin places his hands on my hips. I close my eyes and stand up on my tip toes, ready to kiss him.

When nothing happens, I open my eyes and find Austin with his eyes closed tight. As if, in pain.

With a sigh, he opens his eyes, kisses my forehead and lets me go.

"Good night, Anastia. I'm gonna go to the office, I've got some work I need to get done." he whispers as he backs away from me and goes towards the door,

"Good night, Austin." I whisper back, keeping my eyes on the ground.

I don't move until I hear the front door close. I make my way toward the stairs, peeking inside the kitchen to see if Austin's mom was awake. I don't see her so I make my way to my room.

I go inside the room and cut on the light.

"Good evening, Anastasia. It's nice to finally meet you."

I gasp as I turn to find Austin's mother with a gun to her head and Elena the one holding the gun.