Step 6: Fall off a horse, again (pt. 1)

Start from the beginning

"It's been raining outside for a while now though."

"Doesn't matter," Frey said before Damien could spot his hesitation. "I can't risk him thinking I'm avoiding him."

"Sure caring a lot about what this supposed lower class waste thinks of you," Damien mumbled under his breath as Frey headed for the door, and the latter stifled the urge to stick his tongue out at him.

To his disappointment yet somewhat malicious delight, Tea For Two was not ready when he reached the stables. It was just what he needed. Yelling at the stable boy for not doing his job correctly, making him forget all about what had happened the other night and proving that Frey didn't care at all about his thoughts on him.

"At least you're clean," he whispered to Tea For Two as he patted her side. "I know you don't like mud or rain, but we don't have to go that far today. We'll take the shorter path."

"Lord Clausson?"

Fortunately, Frey was not surprised enough to flinch. He'd expected the stable boy to be there after all.

"Stable boy."

"You're, uh... Here, I see." Marius looked towards the window. "Honestly didn't expect you to be."

"I was under the impression I could come and go as I please." Frey's voice matched his dead expression, and he pulled the rain misted hood of his cloak back.

"Of course, I was just surprised, my Lord." The stable boy's smile looked sheepish as Frey glanced at him from the corner of his eye, and he wrinkled his nose.

"Why? I always take her out at this time of day."

"Well, yes, but... I figured after last night—"

"Is your job standing around talking?" Frey interrupted him. "Or is it preparing my horse for when I come here to ride?

Marius pursed his lips.

"The latter."

"And what are you doing right now?"

"... The first."

"Then at least you understand simple instructions." Frey walked past the curly-haired man with a huff. "I'll wait, but make sure this doesn't happen again."

"Just worried about your health, my Lord." Marius got to work, though his smile had weakened.

This did not stop Frey from giving him an icy glare. He had some nerve. Any proper servant would know not to bring something like the last night up. Frey had been in a vulnerable position and the man just spoke about it like it was nothing. Was he mocking him? Or something more sinister? If Frey had run into someone of his own social class in a shameful situation like that, he would have used it against them without batting an eye.

"What possesses you to think that's of any concern to a stable boy?"

Marius let a frown show just briefly, but he gathered up a breath to speak again.

"First of all, it's raining. You could catch a cold. Then there's the fact that you drank more than any of us yesterday, and I have to imagine your head is feeling that at least a little. What if you fall off?"

"That's still none of your concern." Frey dismissed the reasoning with a shake of his head. "I'm the one who decides whether I'm capable of riding or not. Your job is to take care of the horses in the stables or out in the enclosure, and that's that."

Marius still looked doubtful as he hoisted the saddle up on Tea For Two's back.

"What if Tea For Two here gets hurt, then? The ground is slippery after all. If I can't care about your well-being, I should at least be allowed to feel concerned about the horses I take care of, shouldn't I?"