18. USA #2: Moving Out

Note: I'm running out of countries aren't I-

18 at last! That meant Ame could finally move out! Independence, yes, after all this time! Despite being almost broke, he'd somehow managed to buy himself a cottage in the Virginian countryside. The house's exterior was a pearly-white colour and Ame hoped that, as he got older, he'd be able to renovate it into something more grand, with pillars and marble stairs leading up to it... but those were simply fantasies right now; the newly-established country couldn't even afford rainproof chairs for the back garden, let alone a full-scale renovation of the entire house! Oh well, he could get by with what he had for now; it wasn't like he needed those luxuries, desirable as they were.

Thankfully, he wasn't alone in the wilderness; his thirteen states lived elsewhere on the housing estate, which in itself was only a ring-shaped road with a few houses around it, an not much else. Living either side of him were Georgia and Massachusetts, perhaps the only two people less prepared for this than he was, a truth not helped by the fact that Georgia was living with a child, who he was training to be a future state. This demon child was called Florida and he was insane, but that's a topic for another day. [I'll stop going on about Florida eventually, I promise]

Back in United States' house, Ame had run into an issue: he had no idea how on earth it was possible to boil soup. He'd bought some fresh stock from the market the previous day, but it had only now occurred to him that he wasn't sure how to make the stove turn on...

Ah well... he thought, grabbing himself a ham sandwich instead. Maybe I should just check on the colo- - states, I mean - instead?

With that, he jogged out of his front door, out over to the neighbouring cottage. Swinging open the door, he yelled, "Hey, Georg- oh, hi Florida, where's Georgia?"

Laughing, Florida answered, "Fighting the other alligator."

"Alligator!?" Ame stammered, "Other alligator?"

"Yeah," Florida grinned, "I ate the first one; they taste lovely, actually! Want some?"

"No thanks, I've just eaten."

"Suit yourself, I guess. Your loss."

Perhaps I should go home... Ame thought, still processing Florida's antics. He'll make an... interesting... state, won't he? I hope Georgia can cope with that alligator ok...