32

"Hello," Maury said.

"Hey, it's me," Hadley said. "Just thought I'd see how you and the Whittaker crew are doing. Beanie and I got a lot of cleaning done at the Singlepenny palace of luscious litter, old junk, decaying debris, and gorgeous garbage."

"Glad to hear you're making headway," Maury said. "I'm just worrying myself white-headed over my boys. Waiting for those Whittaker men to get home. 

I know Bill's tied up at the office. I think Skip is probably roaming the woods on the farm. I do wish both would touch base with me. It's just getting late, and I'm starting to worry about Skippy. He might have gotten hurt or something."

"Oh, Maury," Hadley said. "You are one who always likes to stew over nothing. You've been that way since you were a little girl. You enjoy making a mountain out of an ant hill. Skip's a big boy. He's cut the apron strings. And he's smart. He can take care of himself in those woods."

"But he's away so much," Maury said. "Every spare minute, he's off in those woods. I hardly ever see my own child anymore."

"Skip is not a child, Sis," Hadley said. "I know it's hard, but you've got to let go. And don't say 'spoken like a true mother.' I know I have no kids, but I love Skippy like he's my own son. You've got to face facts, Maury.

Skip's a young adult. He's got a lot to think about. Decisions to make on his own He's got to find his way. Make his mistakes. Learn from them. Suffer and grow like we all had to do. Maybe he just needs time alone. To work out what he wants to do with his life. You know what I mean."

"I know exactly what you mean," said Maury, "but it still doesn't make it easy. I tell myself all that, but my heart wishes I could protect him, you know, at least from some things. I'm his mother. You think he might confide in me. Tell me his dreams.

Sometimes just talking about problems helps you solve them. But Skip won't talk about anything to me. He's as tight-lipped as Jubal was. Those two were cut from the same cloth."

"Yes," said Hadley, "they sure were. But Jubal was a good man, and Skip is, too."

"I worry about him, Hadley," Maury said. "I can't help it. I know he's no longer a baby, but he still has my heart. There's so much stuff kids can get into these days. Bill mentions some of the horrible things he runs into. It makes me want to take my son and hold him tight. What if Skippy is up in those woods smoking weed or worse?"

"Do you smell it on him when he comes in? Does his breath stink like a still?"

"No, and how would I know what weed smells like. Tobacco was the worst thing you and I smoked."

"Well, Maury, "speak for yourself. Do you smell anything like a skunky smell?"

"Hadley Jane Pell! I can't believe my ears! You of all people! What would Harry say?"

"Who do you think I tried it with, goofball? Harry wasn't always a stuffed-shirt, old fogie. We were pretty wild in our younger days." Hadley said. "Seriously, does he stink when he comes home? Does he go out wearing one shirt and return wearing another? That was an old trick Harry used in college."

"I would have never guessed Harry did anything wilder in college than try to make it to second base with you in the backseat of some old jalopy. To tell you the truth," said Maury, "I don't see enough of him to smell anything. He runs in once in a blue moon, grabs a bite, and heads out. He usually leaves early for Pixies and grabs supper at the Spoon. Then, he takes off for the hills in his truck. Since he got his own apartment, I'm only a stopover. He lights like a fly. It isn't as if he calls me or visits weekly or anything. A son's not like a daughter, you know."

"I don't think we were that considerate to Mom growing up, either," Hadley said.

"Well, you were a handful, so, I tried to be the considerate one."

"Um-hum," Hadley said, but her tone said she was not convinced.

"Really, Hadley," Maury said, "I don't have a clue what Skip is doing up there or if he is even up there by himself! What if he is taking friends up there? What if he is taking a girl up there? Oh, gosh! He could ruin some slip of a daisy's reputation, not to mention his own. They could be goin' at it hot 'n' heavy right this minute. Makin' babies while we speak!

Oh, Hadley! I'm too young to be a grandma! And I don't want him to ruin his life, or someone else's, by getting her pregnant! Skip is too young to be a father. He doesn't make enough money to support a family! Grandkids! I shudder to think about it. In some ways, he's still a kid himself!"

"Calm down, Maury," Hadley said. "No sense falling off the boat when you don't even know if you've struck the iceberg yet or not. Have you asked him? If he won't talk to you, try writing him a letter."

"It's not that simple," Maury said. "I have to be careful. I could drive a wedge between us. I don't know what to do."

"Maybe," Hadley said, "Skip's working on that old cabin his grandfather lived in. I don't think it would be as bad as Eustian's house, but I would imagine it could use some DIY magic.

 It wasn't much if I remember. Jubal lived a kind of primitive existence up there. Didn't have running water or electricity. He was like Eustian - tight with his money.

I'm sure the winters have done a number on the roof. There are all the outbuildings to consider, too. They must need repairing. Skip probably has more work up there than he can shake a stick at."

"I hope you're right," said Maury. "Jubal's place would take a lot of work. It wasn't that great when the old man was alive. I don't think he ever spent a dime on a can of paint. Weather-beaten gray was the only color Jubal knew. I can't imagine what it looks like after all this time."

"You mentioned Eustian," Hadley said. "That's the real reason I called. I found a stack of court documents. One of them looked like it was about a case he had against Kyle Winthrop, and I wondered if Bill needed to look them."

"I'll tell Bill when he comes home. At least, he comes home for supper on a semi-regular basis. I never know when he'll get in, so I just fix his dinner and warm it up whenever he can leave the office."

"If he needs them, "tell him I'll keep them here so they won't get mixed up with the other stacks of court papers Beanie and I have been separating out from the dumpster fodder. I can drop them off anytime if he wants them."

"I will," said Maury.

"Look, Sis, don't worry. Skip's a good kid. Have some faith in the way you and Bill raised him. You're both good parents."

"I guess you're right," Maury said.

"You know I am," Hadley said. "And besides, with an aunt like me, how could Skippy ever go wrong?"

"Oh Hadley, I wished you hadn't said that."