I don't know how much time has passed, but I know I'm sitting on his floor so long my legs go numb. Pins and needles threaten my legs as I slowly stretch them out.

I like it here, I decide.

He asks me about Wendy, what happened, and I find myself compelled to tell him everything. He stares at me intently, through hooded eyes as he sits while I spill my guts, out onto the floor and into reality. I tell him my thoughts, my feelings, that stupid voice in my head no one knows about and I don't know why. He puts a hand on my shoulder.

"It'll be alright". He says. Calm and quiet, but so deeply sincere it takes me a second to recover.

"I- don't know why I just said all that—sorry". I look down, embarrassed.

"Because I asked." He tells me, like it's the easiest question he's ever had to answer. Like nothings ever been more obvious, or right.

I smile at him.

"Wanna meet Stripe"?

            ________________________

He walks me down to the basement. We tip toe down the stairs as quietly as we can. If his parents found us— in this hour of morning — it wouldn't be good. He helps me down the steep, squeaky steps with his arm and I can't help but notice how caring he is. How in tune with others emotions he can be. I wonder if he's always been like that, or if it's something he had to learn.

We walk up to a mid size cage on the floor. With a wooden in capsule, play pen around it. There's a piece of paper taped lazily to the side of the whole thing with the word: "Stripe" on it. I realize now, Stripe is a little Guinea pig Craig has a sincere attachment to.

Craig bends down, getting on his knees and looks at me. I get down with him as he opens the cage and pulls out the cutest little rodent ever. Craig has a soft smile on his face as he holds him, ever so gently.

"Do you want to hold him?"

"Yes, please!"

He hands the Guinea pig to me and I cradle him in my arms. Petting his soft fur coat sweetly.
=====

I watch her as she hold Stripe in her arms. Her smile is bright and warm as she pets him with care. She looks up and me and her smile only grows. Grinning from ear to ear.

"He's so cute! Oh my god, so soft!" She squeals.

I can't help but stare at her, as she holds my most prized possession in her hands. I don't usually let people hold him, let alone see him. I did once, with someone I cared about but it ended badly. In fact, I don't ever really talk to people anymore. I guess, something about her makes me want to. Something about her makes me want to know more. I can't explain it.

I watch as she places him in the play pen, Stripe runs around happily and then back in her hands.

"He likes you." I tell her.

"I like him". She giggles. "You're so lucky".

I think for a moment before speaking.

".. Yes, I really am.."

I feel myself smiling, I hope she can feel it too.
=====

I yawn in my hands as I give stripe back to Craig. He gently places him in his cage, and I see him burrow down in his bed. He really is the cutest.

"You're tired". Craig looks at me.

"A little.." I scratch the back of my neck.

"Come on". He grabs my hand and helps me back up the stairs.

As we get back into the living room grey light fills the space through the blinds. The sun is rising, and I realize I've been up all night. With Craig. He doesn't even look tired. Or maybe he is, I can't decipher his facial expression. It's blank again.

"Shit, we have school today". I complain. Face palming.

"We have a couple hours, don't worry." He tells me.

"I should probably go, before my mom notices I'm gone."

He nods at me and walks me to the door. Once I'm outside it, I'm hit in the face with the cold morning breeze. The grass is dewy, and the white snow matches the white clouds in the sky. The suns peaking through the clouds ever so slightly, trying as hard as it can to be seen. But the forecast is to heavy.

Shit, it better not snow.

I turn back to Craig ready to say goodbye, but he's not looking at me. He's looking at the sky, like he's deciding on something.

"Craig?"

"Wait here". He runs up the stairs out of my sight, and I'm left confused as I wait. Freezing.

Beauty is pain, I suppose.

He runs back down with something in his hands. I recognize it's a blue sweatshirt, it's thick and looks incredible warm.

He hands it to me silently, and I question him.

"It's going to snow". He says lamely.

"But, this is yours!" I tell him. "I'd feel bad".

"Don't, doesn't fit me anymore anyways. Keep it".

I smile at him and I throw the warm hoodie on. I sigh contently as I feel my body warm up slightly. It's a little big, but it's not terrible looking. It's warm, that's all I care about.

"Thank you". I start. "For everything".

He nods at me and smirks.

"I'll see you later, newbie".

"Bye, Craig".

With that he shuts the door, and I'm left alone on his front lawn, incredibly warm, and comfortable.

I start my walk home, looking back to his window one last time. I smile and shake my head.

Warm.