Chapter 9: Northview

Start from the beginning

"As far as we're concerned, yeah," Swift argues. But he didn't ask Carter to, Swift just wanted to inform him that he and Tom are heading for Northview before Carter could question their sudden disappearance if he didn't. Carter groans whiningly, collapsing his head back on the couch's pillow. If it isn't obvious enough, Carter didn't want to.

Swift sighs, "Fine. Just hang back while we're in Northview." He says. Carter responds with a smirk on his face, a relieved one.

"Oh, and we're taking the car."

"Hey!" Carter exclaims hearing his statement, sitting up. He genuinely didn't want Swift to drive the car to Northview.

Swift playfully looks at his watch, "Oh, look at the time! Gotta go! See you later, Carter!" He pulls Tom with him after opening the door. Meanwhile, much as Carter wants to chase after him, he decides to let him go. Carter changes his mind. Sure, Swift can take the car, as long as he takes all responsibilities while doing so.

The two rush out of the apartment, running down the hall towards the elevator. Swift, with the car keys in his hand, laughs mischievously. Tom follows him to the elevator. Once the elevator takes them to the lobby, Swift and Tom exit the building and head to the car, sitting peacefully on the side of the road. Swift presses his thumb against the car door's handle. Just as expected, a light click is heard and a green light glows on the handle, and the car is unlocked. God, I love technology. Swift swoops into the driver's seat. Tom takes a seat beside him, placing his backpack below the dashboard.

Swift untucks his bag and passes it to Tom, "Hold this." Tom accepts it, putting it in his lap while Swift starts the car. Swift rubs his palms together dramatically with a sneer on his face as he hears the car starting.

"You do know how to drive this right?" Tom starts to become slightly concerned.

"Relax. It can't be that hard."

Much like every day, it was teeming with students. Northview's front yard is alive with vibrant energy, as groups of teenagers chatted animatedly, laughed, and shared stories. Some students sat on the benches, absorbed in deep conversations, while others stood in circles, engrossed in playful banter. The air was filled with the sound of voices, footsteps, and occasional bursts of laughter, creating a sense of liveliness that was contagious. Amidst the flurry of activity, Swift could see students engaging in a variety of activities, such as conversations, tossing and chasing frisbees, or practicing their dance moves. The front yard was a dynamic and bustling space, full of youthful energy and exuberance.

Swift is nowhere near recognizing such an atmosphere. Sure, he knows how schools are but he never felt anything like being a high school student. His whole life, he's been educated by Allison, who refused to enroll him on a high school. He never asked why, he could only assume that she was trying to protect him. Swift didn't realize this himself but he is heavily nervous that he's about to be among students his age. Come on, man. Get your head in the game. Swift almost drowned in his thoughts. He then drives the sedan into the parking lot residing to the right of the school building. To Swift's surprise, the parking lot is relatively empty. There are only three cars parked and a black-painted motorcycle settling by itself by the far side of the lot.

Once the sedan is parked, Swift turns off the engine and grabs the leather bag that Tom has been guarding on his lap. Aware that they have arrived at Northview, Tom picks up his backpack and exits the car following Swift. What Tom noticed that Swift didn't is that several students stared at their stone-gray sedan in awe. They didn't recognize who the two are. The students only assumed they must be new, and even if they are, it's impressive that they brought an interestingly expensive car on their first day.