- 46

L I Z Z I E46 | turning point

L I Z Z I E
46 | turning point

"Keep your eyes closed!" I order Ryan as I cover his eyes with my palms while he sits on the couch.

"Got it," he murmurs.

"I'm warning you...don't ruin the fun. I'll be mad."

"I won't. Promise," he swears dedicatedly.

I let my hands drop from his eyes, walking to the other end of the couch where I kept the shopping bags before. I find the object I am looking for — a small gift-wrapped box that is the present I bought for him. It is cheap considering I bought it from my salary which I have been saving for emergency purposes. But I have made it special for him.

I round the couch to stand in front of him, holding the little gift in my extended hands.

"Open your eyes."

He cracks his eyelids open slowly, first one and then the other. When his gaze lands on the box, a furrow of confusion appears between his eyebrows. He takes the box from my hands, turning it over to inspect it.

"What's this?" he asks.

"Open and see...Duh!"

"Okay..." He nods to himself carefully as he starts untying the red ribbon on top of the box.

He unfurls the wrapping carefully, then unclips the box. His eyes shine when they land on the watch inside. It is a black metallic watch which is nothing like the one he wears considering it is less pricey but it still holds his attention. He places the box down on the coffee table and unhooks the watch from the packaging.

"This is beautiful, Lizzie. Thank you." He curves his lips to a pleasant smile.

"That's not all," I say. "I lied to you before about why I was so late."

"What do you mean?"

I work my jaw, swaying on my toes and heels as I look down. "I...I was actually making this watch more special for you. I wanted to give you a present that you would always cherish from me."

I place my hand over his on the watch, then turn it to show him the engraving on the back. His breathing stills when he scans over the words engraved on the metal.

To the king of my heart
- From your Lizzie

"Lizzie..." He draws my name out, voice straining, as he looks at me. "That's...that's the most special gift anyone has ever given to me."

The blue in his pupils shines with delight as his thumb grazes over the engraving. I have to prevent myself from jumping on him while he is being vulnerable because the fact that he loves my gift makes me want to do exactly that. I observe him quietly as he appreciates my present with the loveliest of smiles taking over his face.