December 25th: Card

Kaveh sits on Alhaitham's floor, secretively working on something at the coffee table. It's unusually quiet; Kaveh usually insists on constant one-sided conversation. However, the silence is soothing, and this is not due to Kaveh's absence.

He looks up from the couch, curious about what has Kaveh enthralled for the past 30 minutes. His neighbour had made it clear that Alhaitham is not allowed to look, that his task is need-to-know only, and Alhaitham is not 'in need of knowing'.

The focused look on Kaveh's face had Alhaitham concede before he could even pry further. It's not a lack of curiosity that makes him stop, but rather how letting Kaveh do his thing allows him to observe all the little mannerisms Kaveh has that Alhaitham has never seen before.

So far he has discovered that:

Kaveh sticks the tip of his tongue out while he's concentrating.Kaveh puts different pens behind his ears, but only after getting frustrated when he can't find the one he needs if he puts them on the table.Kaveh also has no regard for his physical appearance, allowing himself to adorn his face with glitter and ink.

A grin sneaks up Alhaitham's face, curiosity starting to get the better of him. With Kaveh as preoccupied as he is with what he is doing, there may be an opportunity to steal a glance.

"No looking!" Kaveh yells, not sparing Alhaitham as much as a glance.

Alhaitham stands up, a childish pout on his face, to peer over Kaveh's shoulders. The blond throws his body over his creation, but it's not enough to keep Alhaitham's curious eyes away from it.

"You're making a Christmas card?" Alhaitham questions. "It's Christmas day, the post office is closed." There's no way that'll make it anywhere before the New Year comes around.

"I'm not going to send it out, I'll deliver it personally!"

Alhaitham frowns at the prospect of Kaveh leaving. He doesn't want to admit that his annoying neighbour has infiltrated the better parts of his life as much and as quickly as he has, but the comfort of his presence is something he knows he doesn't want to lose.

An unpleasant feeling gnaws at him. A feeling that when Christmas is over, so will their little unspoken agreement to spend time together be.

"On Christmas day?" He asks, voice wavering slightly.

"Yes!" Kaveh chimes, cheerfully working on the card again.

"You think people are waiting for you to show up at their door while they're enjoying Christmas with their families?"

Kaveh opens his mouth but closes it without saying anything. His head droops slightly as he tries to hide the grief on his face. A lump forms in Alhaitham's throat. They hadn't addressed the elephant in the room, but neither of them was spending time with their families.

"I'm so-" Alhaitham starts, feeling he owes Kaveh an apology for breaching a sensitive topic.

"I like to send these cards to show my friends that I am thinking of them." Kaveh doesn't let him finish his apology. "Even if I don't talk to them often, I want them to know that on my favourite day of the year, I'm thinking of them." Melancholy washes over his face, "It means a lot to me, even if it doesn't always mean a lot to them." He whispers the last part, almost as if he doesn't want Alhaitham to hear it.

That Alhaitham does, Kaveh will never know. "So, who is this one for?" He asks, hoping to lighten the mood.

Kaveh immediately brightens, a newfound excitement bubbling within him. He scribbles some final details inside the card. When he is satisfied, he turns to Alhaitham and hands him the card.

"Merry Christmas Haitham!"

Alhaitham's heart skips a beat. Kaveh's nose is covered in ink, glitter is stuck to his cheeks and he has a silly smile on his face.

He looks absolutely ridiculous.

He looks absolutely beautiful.

"Merry Christmas, Kaveh."