Chapter 14

Annika was late.

Running, slamming the other students in the corridors, she apologised to them. Her heart was throbbing against her ribcage and she knew she would be castigated or worst, asked to get out of the class.

When she reached the lecture room, the door was already sealed and she could see some shadowed silhouette of her professor teaching the class. And with much contemplation, she decided to miss the class blaming her husband who dropped her this late.

She was about to veer around her heels and move when the door opened and her professor walked out, asking her to enter.

"What's the time?" The professor asked. This lady professor was renowned for her temperament and taunting talks, and Annika somehow feared her every time to speak.

The middle-aged professor gestured for Annika to close the door after stepping into the class. Annika did what was asked.

Mustering up her courage, she began, "ma'am, I'm sorry. It's nine-twenty and I have no reasonable explanation for my delay."

"What is the exact reason?" The senior professor asked in a dull moment. She had seen many similar to this, and probably she would have to see more of them.

Students and their explanations.

"Shivaay's vehicle got punctured and it took a handful of minutes to get it repaired. Then we got stuck in the traffic." Annika gracefully lied, trying to be on the good side of the professor, though she blamed her husband.

Annika got inside and settled down in her place when the professor shook her head in disbelief allowing her issue. She knew it was no reasonable good, also her student Annika was an unusual latecomer.

Later in the classes, students proceeded with clearing their doubts and tried flattering their superiors by asking important questions. Though it didn't work with the professors, the class had wholesome fun with the jokes.

Soon it was break time and half of the class trailed towards the canteen for lunch, a few towards the washroom, a handful of people to meet their beloved and only limited people stayed back, which included Annika too.

"Guys, did you understand consideration and exemptions to them?" Raahil asked flipping through his scrambled notes. "I don't know anything, probably I will fail." He cried dramatically banging his head on the wooden furniture.

His friends laughed and agreed that saying they all were the same, they hadn't even started preparing notes.

"Can someone tell me the case regarding this?" Siri wondered flopping on the deal with an annoyed sigh. "What was that name? Central London-- something v. High trees Ltd co."

"Central London property trust Ltd v. High tree house Ltd?" Annika asked to spell the correct case name, as she caught the attention of that particular case.

Siri furiously nodded her head. "Yup that one. How did you know? Yesterday you were crying in fear of exams now you know." Siri huffed, when asked about exams yesterday Annika was scared and flustered but now things have changed.

Others settled around the two benches royally with their head cropped against palms as elbows supported against the table.

Annika slightly blushed and told. "I studied this subject yesterday. Also, Shivaay kinda tutored me."

Soon there were various sounds and throat clearings, hearing her weird sounds made Annika blush litter more.

"This case revolves around promissory estoppel. This was the very case where consideration and previous words were taken in regard. Justice Denning in his judgement has clearly explained when the tenant shall be liable for a reduced tend amount. It was during the second world war when it took-"