[24] 30 days without an accident

ابدأ من البداية

"Hooked it up to two car batteries." JJ joined. 

"All right, let's make a sweep." Daryl went in first, the rest following suit. "Make sure it's safe. Grab what you can. We'll come back tomorrow with more people." 

The group slowly and quietly crept through the makeshift base to the front of the store. Daryl knocked on the window, "Just give it a second." 

"Okay, I think I got it." Zack leaned against the beam. 

Michonne stood by JJ, "got what?"

"I've been trying to guess what Daryl did before the turn."

JJ smiled, "He's been trying to guess for, like, six weeks."

"Yeah, I'm pacing myself." Zack sat next to Daryl, "one shot a day."

"All right, shoot."

"Well, the way you are at the prison, you being on the council, you're able to track, you're helping people, but you're still being kind of...uh, surly. Big swing here. Homicide cop."

JJ laughed first and Michonne joined in. 

Daryl looked to the two, "what's so funny?"

"Nothing. It makes perfect sense." JJ shrugged. 

"Actually, the man's right. Undercover."

"Come on, really?" Zack was surprised.

"Yep." Daryl nodded. "I don't like to talk about it 'cause it was a lot of heavy shit, you know?" 

"Dude, come on, really?" Zack got serious. Daryl scoffed. "Okay, I'll just keep guessing, I guess."

"Yeah, you keep doing that."

A walker slammed itself up against the window, distracting the four from their conversation. "We gonna do this, Detective?" JJ stood straight, bringing her knife out. 

"Let's do it."

It didn't take long for the group to clear out the few stragglers left in the store. They stood waiting for further instruction from Sasha. 

"All right. We go in, stay in formation for the sweep. After that, you all know what you're supposed to look for. Any questions?"

"Was there ever a time you weren't the boss of me?"

Sasha smirked at her brother, "You had a few years before I was born."

♮♮♮

"No fucking way." JJ gasped at the Model 2 Epiphone Electric guitar tucked behind the desk in the electronics section. 

JJ gathered the stuff she needed, then found Glenn perusing the camera aisle. 

"Glenn, you will never guess what I found." She brought the guitar back over her head. "An electric guitar. Isn't that exciting!" JJ noticed he was entranced by a poster with newborn pictures on it, which caught her attention. When she realized he wasn't paying her any attention or listening to a word she said, she decided to joke, "I mean, I just think it's so cool that I found the same guitar that Guy Fieri played in his band Aerosmith.

"Oh, really?"

"Yeah, and I think it'll be perfect for when Daryl, Michonne and I finally start our band. Michonne really plays the triangle beautifully."

"That's cool, JJ."

"Right, you know what else is cool?" JJ smiled, taking a step in front of Glenn, "listening to your friend when she's speaking." She crossed her arms, "What is going on?"