"How is the situation in the palace?" nodding his head, Shen Liang continued to ask. These few days, Pei Yuanxian was nowhere to be seen, but he knew that Pei Yuanxian must be occupied with handling matters concerning the City of Wangyue. Any conscientious person wouldn't sit back and simply watch as hundreds and thousands of people drown and suffer from the flood!

"The Emperor was also notified about Hui An and he sent people to investigate his past. However, we've already prepared for that. The only things that will reach his ears would be Hui An's great achievements and compassion, and his adamancy in saving the world. The celebration banquet for Wen Yuan and the General Ling had also been postponed until two days later. I imagine he's waiting to see if it would truly rain then."

The Nether Guards had people in the palace as well. What they should know, they knew everything. It was only a matter of whether the Nether Guards were interested in knowing.

"En. It's the last two days now. I imagine not only the emperor, but many people's attention would be on the dam and the embankment. I hope the General Ling would be more cautious and personally return to the City of Wangyue before then," Shen Liang stood up and walked to the window where the burning clouds in the sky were in full view. He spoke calmly, but he was more worried and concerned about this matter than he imagined. Perhaps it was the responsibility of once being the empress of the empire from his previous life persisting in him. For the innocent civilians, Shen Liang couldn't bring himself to simply ignore them.

"Yes. Master, I truly hope what you predicted would not come to be," after some time with him, Lei Zhen began to speak more to Shen Liang as well. Rather than saying the two had a master-subordinate relationship, they were more like friends now.

"Haha..." Shen Liang laughed: "From the common people's point of view, I also want myself to be wrong. But from a personal point of view, I sure as well don't hope everything I had designed to fall to ruins."

Humans. They were often to controversial.

"Lei Zhen, there's another matter you need to personally discuss with Yuan Shao," after the two's brief laughter, Shen Liang then seriously stated: "If no mishaps occur, then tomorrow would be the day the Empress passes away. Following that, the day after will be the day of the tumultuous downpour. Head back and see if the two matters could be linked together with Yuan Shao. Spread the word that the Heavens was crying for the Empress's death, that she died with grievances. She must have been grief-stricken by some matter. Attempt to allude the matter to the civil exams cheating incident. As for how specifically this will be done, I will leave it to you. If necessary, you can head over to Yinjiaxiang to find Fu Yunxi. In terms of planning, he should be of good help."

Words were a terrible weapon. As long as the public opinion is stirred, even if the emperor didn't want to look into Wen Yuan, he would be left with no choice. But the emperor should be more than willing and happy to do so. Once the examination fraud case is thoroughly investigated, then many officials would be bound to fall. At present the national treasury was reaching its end. Both the ongoing war and the impending natural disaster would only make their treasury more tense. Once Wen Yuan was fired, his family's treasury could be used to fill the Imperial Family's. That had always been what the old emperor resorted to. 

"En," it would be a lie to say Lei Zhen wasn't surprised, but the empress had been bedridden with illness for a long time now. For her to pass away anytime soon was only natural. Lei Zhen nodded his head before excusing himself.

"Liangliang, will we head over to the Lotus Fragrance Courtyard?" seeing that they had finished discussing their matter, Qi Yue stepped forward to inquire. Of course, he naturally wished that they would never have to see those people again. They had only just set off the firecrackers to celebrate the Zhonglin Courtyard's renovation and the Lotus Fragrance Courtyard had already sent people over. Even if they used their asses to think, it wouldn't be difficult to know what those people wanted.