2

F I R S T   O N E   G O N E
P A R T O N E
• AMALIA •

My dad zips my coat all the way up, causing the top of the zipper to touch my chin. I frown as he pulls my hand out, then slips gloves onto both of them before standing from his crouching position.

     "Dad, it's summer." I say, looking down at the warm clothes he's made me wear. I thought the jumper was enough, but I look ready to go skiing.

     Mason looks up from his phone and lets out a small breath of laughter. "Aw." He says before glancing back down.

     My frown deepens.

     "I don't want you to get cold, sweetheart." My dad tells me.

     "But it's sunny." I whisper.

     "I know, but the weather might change." He says.

     "It probably won't." I reply quietly.

     "But it could." He says. At my reluctant and annoyed expression, he sighs. "Fine, take your coat off."

     I smile as I unzip it, putting it into his outstretched hand. "Thanks, dad."

     He leans down and kisses my cheek. I lean down and take hold of Petals leash before she has a chance to run away from me. She wags her tail and begins to spin around in an attempt to chase it.

     My dad wraps me in a side hug. "I'll see you in an hour or two, baby."

     "See ya." I say, smiling as I walk over to Mason. He shoves his phone into his pocket and opens the front door. I say goodbye to my dad again before following my older brother out.

     Immediately, he grabs onto my hand, holding it in his bigger one and spreading warmth through it. I'm probably going to look like a baby to anyone watching, but I don't mind.

     Petal walks calmly alongside me as Mason leads me down the path, then onto the pavement.

     We talk for a few minutes until we get to a shop. Mason pushes the door open, holding it for me as I pull Petal inside.

     "Go pick something out." Mason says.

      I grin and walk over to the chocolate, tilting my head. What do I pick?

I lift Petal up, and she licks my face. I smile before twisting her toward all the options. "What should I get?"

She stares at me, tail wagging.

"Okay." I say quietly, sighing as I set her back down.

A minute or two passes before Mason walks down the aisle. He furrows his eyebrows as he makes his way over to me. "What's taking you so long?" He asks.

"I don't know what to get." I reply.

"What're your options?" He questions, shoving his phone into his pocket.

"An Oreo Cadbury or Wispa Bites."

"Get both." He says.