CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

Start from the beginning

Richard scoffed "I didn't know that my every conversation needed to be reported to you. I stand corrected."

"I have been the co-chair of the Starlight Foundation for the last eight years."

"I know this, Emily." He simpered.

Emily's jaw ticked "And the Black and White Ball is the main fundraising event of the season."

Richard rolled his eyes "It's one year."

"The co-chair cannot miss the main fundraising event!" She argued.

"Why?" He scoffed derisively "Won't the chair be there?"

Emily's eyes bugged wide "Is this a joke to you?"

Richard sighed heavily "Emily, I have too many things to take care of at work. I don't have time for frivolous parties."

"Ah, that's where you get it." Hayden glanced to Rory who rolled her eyes fondly "I however, love frivolous parties."

"Frivolous parties?" Emily scoffed before beginning to storm back upstairs "Friv—"

"Well, where are you going?" Richard called after her only to groan before following "Oh, come back here."

Rory frowned "Wow, this is bad."

"I know, I wish we had popcorn." Lorelai beamed.

"Mom."

Lorelai waved her eldest off "Shh. Incoming."

Hayden watched as her grandparents returned, Emily sifting through a stack of invitations "—The Hartford Zoological Silent Auction, the Mark Twain House Restoration Fund luncheon, the Harriet Beecher Stowe Literacy Auction."

"I can read those myself, you know." Richard scowled.

"This is the fourth event you've taken upon yourself to turn down on our behalf." She shot back "And I am on the board of all of those foundations. Now how do you think that makes me look?"

Richard rolled his eyes "Like your husband is busy and has a great deal of responsibility."

"Well, I have responsibilities too." She defended.

He sighed "I understand that your social engagements are important—"

"They're not just social engagements." She cut him off.

Richard scoffed "Anything at which you serve tea is a social engagement."

"I serve tea in the diner." Hayden mused "Am I hosting or attending?"

After a moments consideration, her mother and sister replied in sync with matching definitive nods "Both."

"That's it." Emily's voice caught their attention once more and they watched the woman ascend the stairs another time "I am gonna get a tape recorder so you can hear how pompous and condescending you sound."

His eyes widened "Wha...uh...Emily."

"No, I wouldn't want you to take my word for it." She shot back over her shoulder "I might be delirious from all that tea I've been drinking."

"Oh stop this." He scowled but followed suit.

Rory bit her lip "Maybe we should leave."

"Are you kidding?" Their mother scoffed "We've got dinner theater here."

"But Grandma and Grandpa are obviously in a fight." She pointed out.

Hayden looked to her "Yeah?"

"One that they probably wouldn't want us to see..."