goats mourn, and the rainbow bridge is near

Start from the beginning

"Or it's because you're a trickster who pulls deadly pranks."

"Perhaps I've always wanted to be one of them." Loki bit back. "Not that I have to defend myself to you."

"No, you don't. But you do owe me... and the children for what you did. They've witnessed things they may never recover from." Will paused as Loki stared at the sky. "Why did you come back?"

"I never left." Loki crossed his arms, suddenly nervous. His light, feathery hair was loose, hanging in gentle waves around his soft face, a misdirection of fragility. A snake in an angel's body, but for once, he seemed honest.

Will wrinkled his brow. "What do you mean?"

"How can I be clearer? I have been keeping an eye on you since you left."

"Well, that's stalkerish." Will swallowed and closed his eyes. "Not that I'm surprised."

"That's enough talk for one night," Loki said suddenly. He touched Will's forehead, frowning at the fever clutching the teacher. "You need to rest as much as you can. Tomorrow we ride for the Bifrost."

"Loki..." Will bit his lip, considering his words with care. "If I don't make it, promise me you'll return the kids to our world. You're their last hope."

Loki's serpent-green eyes were hard and sharp as he studied Will. Will half expected the trickster to launch into a speech about how Will would survive and live long enough to cross the bridge and ensure his children were safe with their parents. He would survive long enough to see Ben. He would live out his days as a teacher, and he and Ben would grow old together.

That's what Will wanted the trickster to say. However, Loki dipped his head and pressed a hand over his heart and said, "you have my word, Will."

****

They had Loki, but even his confidence did not factor in the stubbornness of Thor's goats. The great beasts wouldn't budge, no matter what the trickster tried. He tugged on the reins, pulled with all his might, but then one of the goats flicked his head, and Loki flopped backwards—much to the children's delight.

"They don't like you very much," Charlie giggled her chin on the edge of the chariot.

"You bastards," Loki snarled, storming up to Tanngnjóstr. "Listen to me. I am your master now, which is an upgrade from your previous one—"

Tanngnjóstr nudged Loki roughly in the torso, and the trickster fell on his rump with a frustrated hmph. The kids watched Loki struggle from the chariot while laughing without a care in the world.

"For a fierce trickster, you can't handle a bunch of kids and two goats," Will remarked, watching the trickster with a grin. "Is there anything you can handle?"

"I don't need any comments from you," Loki snapped, dusting himself off. "I've known these beasts since they were kids. How dare they insult me by ignoring my orders."

"They miss Thor," Deirdre suggested, "since he's... you know... dead." She paled as she said the word, and the other children fell silent.

"They're brainless creatures. They don't have feelings," Loki said, pursing his lips. "Now, come along, you two. We cannot delay any longer." He grinned as a plan danced across his features. "If we make it to the bridge, there will be a huge bag of carrots for you."

Tanngrisnir huffed and stamped his hooves, the threat obvious enough that Loki skipped backwards and held his hands out. "Okay, okay, no carrots for you then."

Clutching his side and using the chariot as support, Will stood. "You're obviously not getting anywhere. Let me try."

"Don't be ridiculous," Loki began, but Will's glare silenced him.