Madame Moustache (#claim)

Jack McNight was as filthy as he was rich. California dust and dirt caked his clothes, hair and face. But he hardly stood out, few others bathed in anything other than the glow of gold. Today had been a good day too. Jack didn't own his own claim to mine any land, but being young and whiley, he panned where he pleased. 

The '49er saddled up to the bar and ordered himself a whiskey to whet his whistle. He'd picked this drinking establishment over the many others for a reason. If today was going to be his lucky day, he might as well play some cards. He could hear eagar men's voices in the back room.

"That lady dealer here tonight?" Jack asked the bartender as he ordered himself another drink.

The bartender smirked while he poured the whiskey and when he set it down in front of Jack he leaned in close.

"You struck gold today, didn't you my friend?" the bartender asked in a low voice, a kind-hearted grin on his face.

Jack looked around to be sure nobody could hear him. 

"Lady luck is on my side today," admitted Jack. "I'm feeling good. I want to meet the beautiful card dealer everyone is talking about."

The bartender picked up a glass and began drying it with a cloth.  He shook his head.

"She's not going to deal in the likes of you my friend. She only allows in well-kept men."

Jack looked down at his tattered, grimy clothes and took a sniff under his armpits. If he smelled horrible he couldn't tell. It had been a long time since he and anyone he knew had washed. He looked around at the other clientele. 

"I'm no dirtier than than any of these jokers," Jack protested, pointing a thumb over his shoulder. 

The bartender laughed, "And they aren't in the gambling parlour are they?" 

"It's faster and cheaper to ship your clothes to Hawaii to get laundered than get them washed in San Francisco," said Jack. Jack spoke the truth, but the bartender had already moved on.

Jack had another three drinks. Or was it four? Things were starting to get off kilter. He could hear the cadence in the gambling parlour rise. Someone was either about to win or lose a lot. Jack so desperately wanted to join in the fun. When the bartender's back was turned, he slipped out of his chair and snuck through the door behind the bar.

The room was dark, save a light over the table. Red velvet draped the walls and thick tobacco smoke hung in the air. The men around the blackjack table were indeed clean so intent on the game at hand that they gave no heed to Jack. At the head of the table sat a young woman whose beauty took Jack's breath away. She bore dark curls, dark eyes, and–true to her reputation–a fine moustache above her soft flips. Her delicate fingers shuffled the cards with expert speed.

She looked coyly at the gentleman to her right on whom lay the center of attention. 

"Well, Mr. Sanders?" she asked. The whole room waited for his answer with bated breath.

Mr. Sanders, perspiring profusely, pulled a paper out of his pocket and placed it in the center of the table. 

"All in," he stammered.

Madame Moustache picked up the claim and examined the seal on the patent's authenticity. Satisfied, she dealt Mr. Sanders a hand. 

"Hit me," he said and Madame Moustache placed a five of hearts on the table with a flirtatious smile.

Mr. Sanders considered his hand. The room shared his nervousness. Even Jack felt on edge. 

"Hit me again," said Mr. Sanders.

The young dealer placed a king of spades down and Mr. Sander's face fell. A whoop of emotion filled the room. Madame Moustache picked up the mining claim and tucked it into her bosom. 

"Will someone get that filthy man out of my gambling parlour," she said a stern voice without looking up. 

The room fell silent again and Jack realized she was talking about him. Two men gripped his arms roughly. As they began moving him to the door, Madame Moustache spoke again.

"And claim jumper," she said, "don't even think about it." She patted the mining claim under her dress. "I can shoot as well as I play cards." 

As Jack landed on the dirt floor of the bar outside, head spinning, he knew he was in love.

___________

A/N Madame Moustache eventually married Jack McNight but he conned her out of her money and left her.