Learning English (#table)

Rudy, Margot and their dinner guests swirled cocktails and smoked Winstons. Their six-year-old son, Christian, sat in the corner of the living room playing with his electric train set. An image of content blonde curls, with glasses that made his adorable eyes look huge. His surgery back home had been a success, correcting his cute but medically worrisome crossed eyes. He started his new life in America with good vision.

Christian's parents conversed with their fellow ex-patriat friends about the life they had left behind in Berlin, the capital of the new German Democratic Republic. Letters from home had become increasingly desperate as the political climate continued to deteriorate.

Construction workers, striking against a state-mandated rise in work quotas had begun an uprising that was spreading throughout eastern Germany. Soviet troops began brutally crushing the uprisings and hundreds of people were arrested, injured, or killed. Friends reported increasing numbers were fleeing to West Berlin. Rudi and Margot shuddered. They had left at the right time. Their klein junge would go to school in a safe town in suburban Ohio.

"Wie geht es in die schule?" asked Frau Schmidt, a stout middle-age lady who had helped them find their new home.

Margot and Rudi looked at each other, embarrassed. No doubt their son was bright, but he was struggling to learn English. Margot's mother, Martha, piped up from the kitchen.

"Table," she said.

It was true. Everyday Christian's family asked him what English words he had learned at school and everyday he tapped on the edge of the dinner table and repeated the same word. Perhaps he would do better in math and science and become scientists like his parents. They had his eyes retested but he had passed his vision test.

Margot lit another cigarette and steered the conversation to less stressful topics. Soon, dinner was served.

"Kom, betzeit," said Martha. It was time for Christian to go to bed and let the adults enjoy their supper.

"Nein," replied Christian calmly, still absorbed in his electric trains.

"Ja, kom" replied his grandmother.

Christian flew in to a temper tantrum of epic proportions. He screamed at his Martha and his other grandmother who came to help.

Finally, his father lifted him and carried him up the stairs.

"I'm going to cut your nuts off," yelled Christian has he was dragged up the stairs and away from the dinner guests.

"Christian!" yelled his mother in horror. But the upstairs door had already shut.

Frau Schmidt chuckled and poured Margot some more brandy.

"Kluge student" she laughed. It appeared Christian was learning English far better than he had led his family to believe.