thirty four | one step at a time

Depuis le début

Wednesday hesitated. Was this a dream? Was this her guilt hitting her in an awful, taunting dream?

Yet, as the dryad's ever-changing scent of nature and petrichor hit her nose, her dead heart fluttered as realisation dawned on her.

This was real. It was as real as the trees, the dry leaves on the ground. It was as real as the haunting breeze which floated around them. As real as the sounds of crickets chirping and owls hooting in the darkness beyond.

She got over her hesitation and put her arms around the dryad, holding her tightly as her head rested on the redhead's shoulder, Wednesday's black eyes slowly closing while she simply stayed in her affectionate and loving embrace.

They pulled away from the hug, cheeks warm and hearts racing as they gazed into each other's eyes, forgetting the world around them. They leaned in slowly, but a few giggles from behind the trees made them immediately spring apart.

"I should probably be in the trees," said the dryad with a laugh that made a small smile pass over Wednesday's features.

"Probably," replied the goth. "We can finish this later."

Juniper walked towards a mahogany tree, merging into it soundlessly, giving it more life than any other plant in that clearing. Luckily, Tyler wasn't very observant, so the detail was overlooked.

The boy arrived, looking utterly confused as he saw Wednesday standing there alone.

"Thing gave me your note," he said in his usual hesitantly confused voice, irritating the dryad to no end. "I was surprised you wanted to see me again after you ran out the other night." He looked around, "So, uh, is this a date?"

"It's a surprise," she replied, before focusing her own mind's voice to extend it to Juniper, who heard the instruction loud and clear.

In a trice, the pentagram rose from its hidden cover of mud and soil, the circle spreading around his feet like a boundary, and the vines of the star roping his ankles to the ground.

"When I came to Nevermore, romance was the last thing on my mind," said Wednesday. "But when you kissed me, though I have mentioned I'm pleasantly sapphic, you opened my eyes and suddenly it all made sense."

The boy let out a confused scoff, as she continued, "Xavier warned me about you, but I didn't listen. Juniper always knew there was an off energy around you, which is also something you seemed to notice, but I paid no mind to."

"Ironic now, huh?" Scoffed Tyler.

"Ironic would've been framing Xavier for murder while the real Hyde helped me put him away," shot back Wednesday.

"Wait... you don't think..." he faked offence, which irritated Juniper to no end. As punishment, she tightened the vines around his ankles, nearly making him trip.

"I don't think. I know," replied the goth. "Kinbott probably discovered your secret during one of your sessions. So she unlocked you. Why'd you kill her? I thought Hydes were typically loyal to their masters."

After a few more minutes of interrogation, Tyler had enough.

"Okay, stop. Do you know how insane you sound right now? I'm not a monster." He continued faking innocence, "A... And if you really thought that I was, why would you risk bringing me out to the woods to confront me alone?"

"Who said I was alone?" Asked the goth. In moments, Yoko, Divina, Bianca, Ajax, Kent, and Juniper came out from the shadows, cornering him. Kelpie decided to be helpful and increased his size, sabre teeth bared, black wings outstretched, growling menacingly at the boy.

"And trying to make a move on a lesbian, Tyler?" Scoffed Juniper, moving over to stand next to Wednesday. "That's awfully low of you."

"I didn't know she was gay," he protested.

"I swear, you have negative three brain cells," scoffed the dryad, letting the vines slowly slither up his ankles till his knees.

"Okay, I don't know what kind of sick joke you're playing, but I'm out of here," he said.

"Actually... you're coming with us," said Bianca, using her siren song to knock him out.

Juniper got the vines off when he was properly unconscious, and used magic to teleport him to Xavier's shed, which wasn't too far away.

"God," she scoffed, "He's such a prick."

Wednesday chuckled at the girl's antics, and hesitantly moved her hand, heart racing like a brand-new car, towards Juniper's to link their index fingers together.

The simple gesture sent fireworks down the dryad's spine, making a blush spread over her cheeks as well. Her ears grew pointed, and she slowly, hesitantly, tightened her finger around Wednesday's.

The familiarity...oh, it was magical.

Accept, Liliope had said. Here Juniper was, allowing her love to rebuild the broken pieces of what once was between them. Here she was, rekindling an old gesture. A gesture so simple to a layman's eye, but so special in the two of their's.

"Thank you," whispered Wednesday. After a slight pause, she added, "Cara mia."

Juniper resisted the urge to kiss her. She resisted it with every fibre in her being. "You're welcome, my love," she replied, her voice smooth yet so hesitant that it did break the goth's heart a little.

But this was progress.

They were together once more. Taking it slow, but surely.

One step at a time.

——
OH THIS WAS GOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDD

I HOPE YOU LIKED IT!

Fun fact: Juniper's favourite thing to do with Wednesday is braid flowers into her hair. (An off plot detail from before they broke up hehe)

50 comments plsplsplssssss

Question: was juniper right in forgiving Wednesday after all this time? Or should she have waited? Comment here to lmk>>>>

BY THE WAYYYYYYY
YOURE FABULOUS BESTIE. YOU SLAY EVERYDAY. YOU'RE THE MOST SLAY HUMAN ON THIS GODFORSAKEN PLANET AND ILY SO SO MUCH. KEEP SLAYING YOU ABSOLUTE GORGEOUS GIFT FROM NATURE.

Have a fabulous day/night!

With love and hugs,
Sage