nineteen | forever is just a phrase

-NINETEEN-

Both girls walked down the street to the sheriff's office. Wednesday kept glancing concernedly at Juniper, who was wringing her hands nervously, her eyes unfocused as she stared blankly at the concrete ground.

They entered the office, and it was like someone had flipped a switch in the dryad's head. Her drooping shoulders became taut like a bowstring, and her nervous hand movements stilled to nothing at her sides. Her clouded blue eyes became clear, but still bearing the telltale sign of stress behind them as the irises darted around restlessly.

"That's the claw of the monster and that's a dried blood sample from a potential suspect," said Wednesday, placing the two ziplock packets in front of the man. "He used it to dab scratches on his neck. Run the DNA test and see if they match."

"I'm sorry, do I work for you?" He asked cockily.

Juniper crossed her arms and raised an eyebrow, her ears growing pointed and horns curling by her head as she looked at him menacingly, "Watch your tone, or things will end rather pathetically for you. I am short on patience, so keep your tone in check when addressing her."

"Juniper," Wednesday's voice held an undertone of a warning. She turned to the man, "You asked for concrete evidence. That's it."

Picking up the ziplock bags, he raised an eyebrow, "Where'd you get this? And who's the suspect?"

"Run the test first, then we'll explain everything," scowled Wednesday.

"I'm not playing games, Addams, Carrow," scowled Galpin.

"Neither are we, Sheriff," said the dryad curtly, before she took Wednesday by the hand and marched out of the office.

—Time Skip—

Back at the dorms, Wednesday sat on Juniper's bed tentatively, considering the fact that it wasn't the black she was used to, but a deep sage green. Juniper was pacing, her hands occasionally fisting in her hair as she tied not to panic over the events which transpired before.

"Cara mia," whispered Wednesday, "Don't panic so much. It's just Xavier."

"No, you don't get it, Winnie," scowled Juniper. "Lyssa was someone who—someone who broke me when I was at my worst. She used me and toyed with my feelings. I hate being reminded of how gullible I had been and how I let that girl into my life when she nearly burned it to the ground."

The goth hesitantly patted the bed, before opening her arms for the dryad to lay in. Wednesday wasn't too good at comfort, but whatever little she showed towards Juniper was what all she'd seen her parents do. After all, a child's love language often revolves around how their parents act around each other.

"Are you sure?" Asked Juniper, eyebrows raised.

"You have thirty seconds before I rethink my decision," said the goth.

Quick as lightning, the dryad was in Wednesday's arms, her back against the latter's front, while the goths legs were on either side of the redhead's body.

"Go on with your story, cara mia," said Wednesday. "You have me intrigued."

"May I use some magic?" Asked the dryad. Upon receiving a small peck on the head as well as a hum of agreement, the redhead inhaled deeply and put her hands out, palms up, letting wisps of delicate green magic to enclose the pair of them in a swirling ball of energy as she transported them through an array of memories she'd found too painful to revisit up until then.