Part I

You could spot the birthday parties from across the room. Beautiful, rich kids and socialites tend to go all out, with the balloons and banners, ordering bottles or at the very least, top shelf cocktails by the dozens. On occasion, you might get a wealthy middle-aged businessman, or some guy who just made his first half-mil in crypto, ready to live it up for the night, but they usually kept a lower profile, not attracting as much attention to their celebration.

Zelda's was a swanky, high-dollar lounge for the rich and the wannabes. In your two years as a cocktail waitress there, you'd learned how to spot the difference. Those with money knew how to spend it. Those that were only there for one evening of "let's pretend" spent frivolously, cashing it in before - or sometimes after - going belly-up.

Tonight seemed to be just like every other weekend evening, the corner booths filled with decorations and Gucci-lipped twenty-somethings taking cell phone pics of each other. You gave your best fake smile, ready to serve anyone willing to blow a few hundred on drinks and hopefully dishing out hefty tips.

"What can I get you, doll?" you asked the blond at the end of the half-circle booth.

She gave you a quizzical look at first, as though you had just interrupted a private conversation. Then with a flip of her hair, she smiled at her group.

"Oh, I think Harry was gonna order for us all," she said. "It's his birthday."

"And which one is Harry?" you grinned at the three young men who shared the booth, all dressed in suit jackets with their shirts unbuttoned past their pecs. Everyone at the table pointed to the dark-haired guy who sat in the center with his hands up.

"That would be me," he remarked nonchalantly in a syrupy British accent.

"Well, Happy Birthday, Harry," you raised your voice over the loud music. "What are we having for this celebration?"

"Tequila, the best you've got," he replied, his ringed finger gesturing in a circle. "All around. And a bottle of Cristal."

Two of the girls at the table cheered, clearly impressed with Harry's selection.

"Sounds like a good party to me," you nodded. "Be right back."

Heading over to the bar, you heard the group cackle behind you. Then one of the girls shouted, "Stop it!" When you reached the edge of the bar, giving John, the bartender your order, you snuck a glance over at the table. The girl sitting next to Harry held her cell phone up to take a photo, the birthday boy with his tongue in her ear. Clearly the group had gotten a head start on drinks before they'd ever arrived.

"Another one of those, huh, Y/N?" scoffed John.

"Same shit, different day," you commented, shaking your head. "Gimme one of the birthday glasses, will you?"

"Ah, which Paris Hilton wannabe is the birthday girl? Lemme guess...the blonde in the silver bandeau top getting her ear tongue fucked."

You chuckled. "Try the fucker."

"Oh yeah?" John raised a brow, placing the bottle of Cristal on your tray. "The himbo, eh? Wouldn't have guessed it."

"Why not?"

"Imposter Armani suit? I can spot it a mile away, honey."

You laughed as he finished pouring the tequila. "Guess he's out of his element. But he obviously wants to impress on his birthday."

"From the look of the caliber of girls he's with, I'd say I don't blame him."

You nodded, carefully taking the tray. You knew what John meant. Harry may have not been the typical socialite to walk through Zelda's doors, but the women in his company obviously were. And they expected to be treated as such.