Chapter 55

Rebecca called Juliet as her shift ended to see if she could impose upon her mother to babysit Stephen for about an hour so Rebecca could get a workout in before seeing Ben. She wanted to take Stephen with her when she went to see him. The few times she had seen him with her son, it warmed her heart. It would be interesting to see them together for more than a few minutes at a time.

She was beginning to regret rescheduling the assessment, but only because the added pressure she placed on herself to get in shape was intense. She knew the longer she took to do the testing, the longer she would be on the desk, and the longer she was there, the more frustrated she would become.

Juliet answered the phone after a couple of rings and advised Rebecca her mother had agreed to babysit the two boys, so they were free to go to Athena's after class. Rebecca noted an edge to Juliet's voice and asked if she were okay. Juliet responded she just had a lot on her mind.

There seems to be a lot of that going around, Rebecca thought and decided to let it go for the time being. She really liked Juliet, and though they had only known each other a short while, she felt a connection with her and didn't want her friend to be unhappy. She would see if she was in better spirits when she got to Early Years, and they could talk about whatever was bothering her then.

Rebecca text Ben next.

Can't wait to see you later. Stephen is excited too!

A few moments later, Ben responded.

What time do you think you will be by? 

I'm gonna try to get my run in before you come.

Rebecca mulled over her plan and responded.

Probably around noon. 

Gotta hit the gym, then get Stephen from the sitter and we'll come by.

Rebecca thought about their conversation from the night before and felt the butterflies in her stomach come to life. She was very much looking forward to seeing him.

Sounds good. Can't wait to see you both.

Rebecca threw on her coat and headed for the door. Jess grabbed her shoulder she passed.

"Are you sure you know what you are doing, Bec?" Jessica asked. She knew her friend was going through some marital issues and wanted to check-in.

"It's not a fling, Jess. I am pretty sure this is the real thing." Rebecca's voice hitched with conviction. "I have been feeling this pretty intense thing toward him for a long time. And to find out he felt the same way? I can't even explain how that felt—how it feels. It is amazing."

Rebecca felt a rush of excitement, finally telling someone how she felt about Ben and those feelings hadn't sprung up overnight.

Jess pulled on her coat and walked out with Rebecca.

"Things have been over with Kenneth for a long time. It's been hard keeping up appearances. And honestly, Stephen is too young to know the difference right now. I don't want him to spend any more time with Kenneth than necessary. Now that I have found a sitter who seems to have taken to Stephen and vice versa, childcare is no longer a concern. It's a selfish concern, and I'm fully aware of that, but at this point, that's all Kenneth is to me. A babysitter." Rebecca explained.

"He's such a dick," Jess stated, shaking her head.

"He is, but soon, he'll be free to do whatever he wants. I think he'll be relieved. He's been playing the martyr really well lately. I can't wait to tell him I'm leaving and taking Stephen with me." Rebecca stared unblinkingly ahead. A fierce glint lit her eye as she spoke of her plan to leave her husband.