34 / sable

***
sell your soul
not your whole self
~afraid~
~the neighbourhood~
***

charlie kane

~~~

It was early morning. Bird song was filtering through the air, a morning dew covering plants. We had been alternating between walking and jogging most of the night, with few stops for water and zero stops for sleep. Conversation had been light, everyone mostly focused on the task at hand.

"Alright Murphy," Bellamy says as we move pass the latest landmark John had described: two large fallen trees parallel to each other. "Where to now?"

John scoffs, throwing me a glance as he lifts his bound wrists up. "What do you say we lose these first, huh?"

"For the fifth time," Bellamy says. "No."

"If we get attacked, I have nothing to defend myself with." Murphy stresses.

"I don't care." Bellamy responds, his mouth twisted with resent.

Finn stalks towards Murphy, using the cutters to snap the metal of the cuffs. His mouth was pinched, eyes glaring as his entire body radiated a singular message: 'we don't have time for this'. As soon as he's finished, Finn turns back around and starts walking again, determined.

"Thank you." John calls out—more to air than Finn, considering he was already yards ahead of Murphy, who was now rubbing his sore wrists gently.

"Hey!" I call, trailing after Finn, Bellamy by my side. "The hell are you doing?"

"It was your idea to bring him." Finn responds, still clearly angry and annoyed with us.

Behind us, the rest of the group scurries as they try to keep up.

"Yeah, he's the only one who's seen where they keep their prisoners." Bellamy explains, his rifle held tight against his chest.

"Then we probably shouldn't let him be defenseless out here. We can handle Murphy." Finn rebuttals, quickening his pace to get ahead of us.

"You better hope so." Bellamy calls after him, glancing at me with an expression that was hard to read.

John walks in between us, forcing me to step slightly off of the trail. "So, do I get a gun now?"

Bellamy doesn't say anything to his sarcasm, giving John his answer as he pushes a hand into his shoulder, forcing him forward and causing Murphy to stumble as he regains his balance.

We walk a few more moments in silence. There was always so much going on, and I never got to think about it all or process things, especially the deaths.

Wells. Atom. The boy Josh, who sat next to me on the dropship. I hadn't thought about him in a while. Roma. Myles. My grandmother. All the lives we lost in the fight at the dropship. Clarke, maybe. Jasper, maybe. Miller, maybe. Monty, probably. Octavia and Lincoln, hopefully not. The rest of the 100, wherever they are.

Truth be told, some of these events felt like they happened a million years ago, even though it had barely been a month or so. In this month, I had changed. I was different in so many ways, yet still the same. It was odd. I didn't know exactly who I was.

"What are you thinking about, Princess?" Bellamy asks.

I snap my attention back to reality. My eyes had been focused on the ground behind me, stepping on dirt and trying to avoid green vegetation as we trek through the woods.

"Oh." I swallow, giving him a non-convincing small smile. "Nothing, really."

He gives me a knowing look.