CHAPTER 14: First Kiss

July 16th 1993

.

.

.

"The damn drawers are empty." Terrance sighed, facepalming.

"Oh... what are we gonna do then?" You furrowed your eyebrows in confusion, standing by the doorway awkwardly.

"We might have to buy some tools from the hardware store nearby." Terrance groaned as he turned to you.

"Seriously? Have you actually searched, or did you just take a glimpse at what was on top?" You sigh in irritation.

"Yes, your Highness," he dips into a kneel, "I've searched far and wide, but alas, no batteries."

You giggle, and in response, wave your hand and say, "What a useless servant, if you can't even accomplish the simple task of finding batteries!" You raise your arms, "Off with his head!" You declare.

Terrance turns away to laugh, and you can see his cheeks turn pink. It makes you oddly ecstatic to see him laugh at something you said. You watch how his smile makes creases between his nose and cheeks, and two uneven dimples at the sides of his mouth.

"We better start heading to the store now, for the batteries." You state.

He turns back to you. "Yeah, do you have any money?" He asks.

You dig around in your pockets to find any change. You only found a quarter, but you could've sworn you had at least a few dollars in change. You sigh in defeat only after at least thirty seconds of desperate searching. You present the coin in your hand.

"This is all I have..." You groan.

He takes a glance at your hand and sighs. Your heart sinks, is he disappointed in you? After all, if you can't buy these batteries, Ballora will remain broken until someone else restocks them, and how long will that take?

"Well, it's a good thing I have this," he states as he reaches into his pocket. Once he pulls his hand back out, he reveals a $10 bill.

You sigh in relief. "Oh my gosh, I was worried we wouldn't be able to repair her tonight."

He winks at you and starts walking towards the building's exit. You follow closely behind him and into the parking lot.

"Do you have a car?" You ask.

"Do I look like I have a car?" He retorts.

"What? I guess, not?" You say in confusion. Isn't he 24? Why doesn't he have a car? He might be poor, but he certainly doesn't look it. "We can take my car." You propose.

You lead Terrance to your car and show him to the passenger side. You then settle yourself in the driver's seat. After buckling your seatbelt, you turn your key in the ignition, but nothing happens.

"What the hell..?" You mumble.

The car remains the same as you turn the key repetitively. You grunt in frustration and slam your head against the wheel. The car honks loudly, which jolts you upright, and you slam your head into the sun visor.