CHAPTER 10: Disappointment

July 16th, 1993

.

.

.

Mike sat on the couch, conflicted with his thoughts. Y/n Hadn't shown up today for work, he was a bit disappointed at that fact. He didn't even know why she hadn't arrived, he was waiting at the location for nearly an hour before realizing Y/n wasn't going to arrive anytime soon. Maybe Henry knew? Mike promptly pulled his phone out of his pocket, typing a message before hitting send. 

Me:
Hey Henry, has Y/n talked to you at all about not showing up to work today?

Mike waited patiently for Henry to respond, popping his fingers in the meantime. That was until he heard the soft ping from across the room, Michael glanced up right as Henry looked down at his phone before shooting a face of bewilderment at Mike.

"Michael, I'm right here, you don't have to message me, why did you even do that? You knew I was here?" Michael groaned, he reluctantly shoved himself off the couch and slowly walked over to where Henry was sitting.

"So? What did you need" Henry raised an eyebrow just as Michael sighed, taking a deep breath, if that's what you want to call it, before opening his mouth.

"DoyouknowwhyY/ndidn'tshowupforworktoday?" He spoke quickly as the words tumbled out of his mouth without really putting any thought into it. Michael felt embarrassed, it has been a while since he actually talked to someone who wasn't dead for once. So, when Y/n came striding around, Mike couldn't help but be a bit intrigued. Henry chuckled at Michael,

"You're gonna have to slow down if you want me to understand what you're saying, Mike." This caused Mike to let out a groan as he threw his head back, he regained composure almost immediately, licking his lips before repeating once more.

"Do you know why....uhm..Y/n didn't show up to work earlier?" Henry shot a knowing smile at Michael. "Oh, is that was this is about?" Michael rolled his eyes, the eyes in question were practically screaming at Henry to get on with it.

"and tell me, Michael, why does this concern you?" elbowing Mike's side, Michael was silent for a moment. Trying to come up with an excuse fast enough to seem believable.

"Because I'm her ment..or?" Either way, he failed trying to make it sound believable because it come out more as a question than a statement, so he cleared his throat before retrying it. "Yeah, cause I'm her mentor" It would have been foolproof if it weren't for his idiotic fail at the first attempt.

Henry shook his head, believing it for some bizarre reason. "I suppose that is a valid point, she called this morning actually. Apparently, her friend had been in a car wreck, Y/n said she had to be there for her."

Michael nodded, "Well, did she mention when she would return to her job?" prodding more necessary than intended.

"How nosy you've become" Henry chuckled a bit before facing down at his paperwork, "She said she'll be back by tomorrow night" Mike nodded once more, "Alright then, thanks for that" He turned, crashing back onto the couch, intending to take a nap.

Michael should have known better because whenever had his siblings ever allowed him to have a full night's rest? Or nap even? Elizabeth came running into the room screaming his name, causing Michael to jump immediately off of the couch while Henry protected his ears. "Tell Chris to leave me alone!"

"Are you serious?" Michael fell back onto the couch, face-planting onto the cushions. "Why don't you ask dad or something?" Mike half-yelled back

"BECAUSE, he told me to go to you, DUH!" challenging him to a screaming match, knowing he would be the one to win. That was until, Mrs. Afton swung the door open, all the chaos that happened disintegrated