CH 10 || Fairy tales

Comenzar desde el principio

Oh no.

"Yo, Tay," Ben hollered at me. "I heard Jessica and you got into a catfight over Chris!"

The skin on my face tightened uncomfortably and I had to resist the urge to scratch at my face. I let my hair drop forward, suddenly acutely aware that I hadn't worn any make-up today. I knew there were going to be rumors, but that was what they were saying?

Chris made a show of being uncomfortable but he couldn't completely hide the smug smile slipping over his lips.

Suddenly my appetite was gone.

"Shut it, Jackson," Cody said.

Jules nudged me with his foot. "We have to go now or we will be late for quantum physics."

The salad bowl in front of me was still half full. "Right. Let's go."

Mine and Killian's chairs scraped over the ground at the same time as we both stood up. Killian sent Cody a look I couldn't quite decipher, and then wordlessly walked around the table and out of sight. However, I didn't miss the daggers that one of the guys was shooting at his back. Strange.

He had buzz-cut brown hair and a round face. His hands looked like shovels. I thought his name was...Mick?

Then another guy asked loudly, "You gonna be late for what now?"

"Quantum Physics," Jules repeated, a frown etched across his delicate brows.

"Quantum lyrics?" More laughter. "Whatcha gonna do with that? Quack in a rhythm?"

Jules's ears turned red. I gripped the tray in my hands tighter, leaned forward, and said, "Quack? Really? If that's all your bird brain could come up with, I think you got tackled a few too many times." Then I looked at Jules again. "Let's go."

They called something after us, but I barely heard them. I didn't care what they said. I was done playing nice with them. We were nearly out of earshot when they said something else but then Cody's sharp voice rang out and they shut up.

Jules kept tugging on the neckline of his sweatshirt. "I'll be right back, gonna quickly head to the toilet."

I sighed and leaned against the opposite wall to wait for him. The day was only halfway done, and I wished I had just stayed in bed. But then again, I would have to repeat the lab and I couldn't decide which option sucked more.

The door to the toilet opened and I straightened just to freeze when I realized it wasn't Jules.

Killian.

We stared at each other, and I was momentarily mesmerized by the way his eyes reflected the overhead lights, flickering between green and brown, until—

"Hey, Taylor." Veronica, Jessica's alter ego, sauntered over with Rosalyn hanging off her arm. Their eyes bounced from me to Killian and back.

I groaned inwardly. Just what I needed.

"What are you two doing here?" Veronica asked, her lips curling. Yeah. She'd definitely heard the rumors as well. Or some messed up version from Jessica herself.

"Nothing," I said and stepped back. They better not start any gossip about me and Killian, or I would really lose my mind.

"Sure." She rolled her eyes.

"Hey, Killian, are you like back for good now?" Rosalyn asked, tucking her hair behind her ears.

I was stunned. What was up with her?

"Mhm." Despite his nonsensical answer, a light blush spread over her face. Veronica thrust out her hip and smiled up at him.

Wait. Were they flirting? With Killian?