8: You Should Heal

Detective Matthew Roland and the two prosecutors on the case look at a board where they have everything important to the case

Detective Matthew Roland and the two prosecutors on the case look at a board where they have everything important to the case. The board is filled with evidence, photographs, and notes.

What Elite's new lawyer, Supreme, said at the preliminary hearing keeps playing in his head..."They want you to believe that Ms. Emerson is the only one who committed this crime. Their theory is flawed. There were other people in the victims' life that were motivated to harm them, especially Shinobi Waters. This case is filled with reasonable doubt."

Seeing the numerous pictures of suspects they had before they zeroed in on Elite makes him wonder. They're too far to turn back, but could it have been someone else?

It's better to get the right person then go all the way through trial only for Elite to be found not guilty. This is a high-profile case that they don't want to fumble. It can make their careers.

"The DNA results for Elite are still pending. The fingerprint analysis too. It'll be awhile until we get them back. But the accused did voluntarily give it to us," the prosecutor sighs wondering why Matthew is so concentrated on this board.

"You know even if it's positive, her defense team can explain it away. If her DNA and fingerprints are at the scene it's not abnormal. She was still sleeping with Shinobi. I'm sure it's all over his loft from her being there."

"It's a matter if her DNA and fingerprints are in the more important places. Is her DNA on the bodies? Are they under the victims' nails from fighting back? Is her hair where the biggest struggles were?"

"We have no murder weapons still. Not the knife or gun to test for her prints on them. I don't know," Matthew groans.

"Why do you sound like you're not so sure we'll get our guy... or girl?"

"We have camera footage she was at the place of the crime. Text messages and tweets to show how bad her relationship with Shinobi was. Honestly, it's circumstantial. We need the murder weapons or we're going to look fucking stupid at trial."

"We still have time."

"We have a motive for why Elite would want them dead. We also have possible motives for several other people. The deeper we go into this the more I'm realizing it could've been someone else..."

"I thought we reasonably eliminated everyone." The prosecutor goes to the board pointing at a picture of Elite's brother, Epic. "Not him."

"He could've done it. He got into several disputes with Shinobi feeling like he wasn't treating his sister right," Matthew explains.

"We also have two sides of the story. We have people on Shy's side saying Epic had the wrong impression of their relationship and was just taking his sister's side. Plus, Epic has Anti-Synthetase Syndrome and lung disease. He's on an oxygen tank and needs a lung transplant. There's no way he had the physical strength to stab Shinobi and Sarahi the way he did. That takes a lot of energy he doesn't have. Next."