12

"Do you want to go visit Neteyam today?" Me and Lo'ak were both sat in silence together. For the past week, everything's been more quiet.

"Yeah, sure. I haven't gone to see him since I went with mum and dad." Lo'ak hasn't been himself since the incident, no one has really.

Spider has been distant, he's only really been talking to Kiri and Tuk. He wont even look at Jake or Neytiri.

"Let's go get Tsireya and Ao'nung to watch us." My eyes stay looking at the ground while me and Lo'ak walk towards Tsireya, Ao'nung, and Rotxo, who are all feeding the Ilu.

Rotxo points me and Lo'ak out to Tsireya and Ao'nung. They both turn around and watch as we approach them.

When we reach them they all place their baskets on the floor and make sure the Ilu can't reach the fish inside them.

"Do you guys mind watching us while we go to the spirit tree?" I look into one of the baskets on the floor and see loads of small dead fish. But surprisingly, there's no smell.

"Yes of course!" Tsireya slightly lightens the mood and I feel less empty.

I notice a change in Lo'aks mood as well, just a minute ago he looked tired and lifeless. Now he just seems normal, not happy or sad.

"Rotxo you come as well." Ao'nung picks up his basket and quickly throws loads of fish into the shallow water, Tsireya and Rotxo do the same.

-

I gently grab my kuru and look at Ao'nung to see if it's okay to link with the spirit tree. He nods in approval.

I look over at Lo'ak who has already linked his kuru with the spirit tree.

I gently link my kuru to the tree and I close my eyes.

A quick white flash appears but then goes away. I open my eyes and.. I'm home.

I see Neteyam running up to me with a massive smile on his face. "Rua, come on! It's time to become Ikran Makto!" He says Ikran Makto in an overly enthusiastic tone.

I quickly run up to him and wrap my arms around him. He hesitantly hugs me back, "Are you okay?"

I pull away and look at him, "Never better, Neteyam." He gives me a confused look and wipes my cheeks.

"Well why are you crying? Are you nervous? Don't worry, I promise you'll be able to bond with an Ikran." He stands there looking at me with no clue that he is dead.

"It's not that. I'm just, happy to see you." I cup his face and let my tears roll down my face. I hear a stick snap behind me and I turn around.

I see Lo'ak looking at us. A tear rolls down his cheek and I weakly smile at him.

"Hey bro! Didn't you go with dad to become an Ikran Makto?" He says 'Ikran Makto' in the same enthusiastic tone as before.

"Yeah I.. dad told me to come and get you guys." Lo'ak plays along, catching onto the fact that Neteyam doesn't know he's dead.

"You both seem ups—" before Neteyam can finish his sentence, the same white flash appears.

I open my eyes and I'm back under the water. I stare blankly into the distance, someone is gently shaking my shoulder but I pay no attention to it.

I see a hand gently remove my kuru from the spirit tree and then two arms start to pull me up from under the water.

I come up to the surface and exhale. I look over at Lo'ak who helped me get out the water, my lip starts to quiver and I wrap my arms around him.

I bury my face into his shoulder and I start to quietly cry. Lo'ak strokes my hair and I hear him quietly sniffle.

-

I sit near the corner of the marui with Tuk sat in front of me. I braid her hair as gently as I can but occasionally I hear an 'ow' come from her.

"Rua, do you miss Aella?" Tuk stays facing forward but her ears turn back to me so she can hear me clearly.

"Of course I do Tuk, she was my first Ikran and my last." A lump forms in my throat but I quickly swallow it. I focus on Tuks hair to get my mind off it.

I finish a braid and look at the rest of her hair that I have to finish. I sigh and stretch my back. "Break time Tuk-Tuk, go show mama what I've done so far."

"Okay Ru-Ru!" She squeals as she runs off in Neytiris direction.

When Neytiri sees Tuk her face lights up. It's rare nowadays to see Neytiri that happy. Tuk points in my direction and Neytiri looks over at me.

She signs, 'I see you.'