5. Rebellious Work

Start from the beginning

“Well, well, the newbie has arrived, and she’s tardy.” I dropped the last good piece of my breadstick, as I had been caught off guard by a familiar voice.

I twirled around and sure enough it was that same boy, the one with the French accent and single dimple from yesterday.

“May help you?” I said, disturbed at the fact that he’d called me a newbie. No one really knew how much I detested the word “new”. 

                His tone changed as he seemed to recognize me. “Oh, why it’s the girl who wanted me to join her at the private pool.” A teasing smile spread across his face. I didn’t respond and instead grabbed another breadstick and plopped on the counter and began to chew.

“You know I never did get your name…”

“I told you, you don’t need to know.” As I said this he inched closer to me trying to read my name tag. I instantly covered it and moved away playfully, he jerked back at my sudden movement.

“Why won’t you let me know your name?” He asked curiously.

“Just because.” I replied indifferently.

“Get off the counter this instant. Ashlynn!” A hoarse voice demanded at me.

                Irritated, I turned to face an old women with her panties tied in a knot perhaps. As soon as the women had come to view, the French boy went straight to work and pretended not to have been distracted. Sure the kid could’ve given me a heads up.

The lady drew closer to me. “I said get off the counter.” She snapped.

“Who are you to tell me what to do?” I replied calmly and charmingly. The activity in the kitchen stopped and it was suddenly so quite that if a spoon where to drop you would surely hear it.

“Your Aunt warned me about you.” She snarled. I tilted my head and gave her a dashing smile. Throughout my short years I’ve learned that it pisses people off when you’re all sugary and sweet when you’re getting yelled at or in trouble.

“Get to work people!” She roared and sure enough everyone did as she said. That’s surely wasn’t going to fly with me.

“Who are you to be bossing around people like that? Oh…you must be the boss…” I said playing innocently dumb. “I’m so sorry.” I continued and she bought it.

“Since it’s your first time I’ll let you slide. My name is Charlotte, and I want you on top of your game. There’s pretty much three basic rules, First off no eating, drinking, spilling, or dropping the food, for it comes out of you pay check. Two, be friendly to the costumers and three do as I say. Got it?”  

“Sure.” I nodded though one, she could probably smell the garlic in my breath, two, being friendly didn’t always come naturally to me and three I hate being bossed around.

“Good, now wash the dishes over there, if you need anything, Aaron will assist you. Aaron waved at with a knife in his hand. Great, Aaron just so happen to be the French guy. As soon as Charlotte left I walked over to the sink of dishes. I almost hurled just looking at the disturbing used plates. I added more soap then necessary and began to scrub the built up left over food off.  “Maybe if I don’t wash them thoroughly, maybe I’ll get fired.” I smiled at the thought.

“You know you’re not doing a very good job... Ashlynn” Aaron noted picking up one half of a quarter washed plate.

“I know.” I said cheery at the fact that it was noticeable.

“I suggest you scrub all this shiz off or you’ll be staying after hours.” Aaron said grabbing an extra sponge and rewashing my plates.

“Dude, I can do it myself.” I said snatching a dish so violently from his hand that it slipped out of my hand, sending it crumbling to the floor.     

“Score!” I yelled excitedly.

Aaron laughed though he was shaking his head. “Yep, I give you another five hours before you’re fired.” He moved to the furthest side of the kitchen for a broom and returned to clean up the shattered plate.

“Really?” I said even more excited this time.

“Yea…” He looked at me questioningly.

I sighed, “You see, it was a choice of mine to be working here, I’m being forced to. The faster I get fired the happier I’ll be.”

“Well, my job actually is to look after you and make sure you do your job correctly. I really wish you wouldn’t try any stunts or I’ll be the one getting fired. Charlotte warned the whole staff about you.” He smiled and his dimple deepened.

“What she tell you all?” I said sitting back on the counter.

“That you’re one hell of a trouble maker and rule breaker.” Aaron pulled me gently off the counter.

“So you actually like being told what to do, all the time?”

“It’s not really a choice, it’s sometimes a sign of respect.” Blah Blah Blah I thought in my head as Aaron spoke, I wish he was less gentleman like and… less boring. He’s good looks were really being put to waste, if he was only a little more adventurous…  

“Ashlynn! The dishes are not done, sweetheart keep it moving Aaron.” Charlotte mentioned as she passed by.

“Did she just call me an “it”?” I ask slamming a dish towel on the counter.

“Please don’t start.” Aaron said giving me back the towel.

I let it go and continued with the dishes, Aaron washed while I dried.

“How old are you?” I asked after a while of silence.

“18, and yourself?”

“I’m 16.” I said setting the last plate in a cupboard.

“I could have sworn you were like, 12.” He said smiling

“I’m so not 12!” I protested.

“Could have fooled me.” He said breathing a little too close to my face.