4. Surprises

4. Surprises

“She can't possibly be serious can she? Ashlynn, working?” Tori said half smiling

               I bit my lip down, hard. I felt like screaming! How dare she humiliate me in such a way! Aunt Laurie wasn't the richest person in California, we didn’t live the most glamorous life style but we were thankfully pretty privileged. Working at a restaurant was not necessary.

 Kass giggled and seemed amused at the thought. "Oh this should be quite interesting.”

                My blood boiled. Shut it Kassandra! I wanted to blurt out but I was beyond words. No one said anything for a while. A light knock broke the silence. Everyone glanced at the door as the devil in the form of my Aunt peeked inside.

“Hello my angels.” She said with a dazzling charm. I honestly had no idea of how much of a two faced bitch she could be until now.

“How could you?!” I said so fiercely that I could taste the blood from where I had bitten my lip.

“What are you talking about my dear?” She said gently.

“Self explanatory.” I said shoving the waitress outfit in her arms.

“It’s a punishment for your previous actions my love. Maybe a job is what you need to keep yourself busy and out of mischief.”

“Punishment? Since when did you decide to play the responsible adult and treat me like a child?” I said so heatedly that it may have been possible that smoke was coming from my ears.

“Don’t raise your voice at me--”

“You’re insane if you think I’m going to some damn restaurant—”

“I think it be a good idea for me to work too and maybe in the same place as Ash…” Paige trailed on and all eyes were on her.

                I had forgotten that the girls were still in the same room and they watched my Aunt and I bickering like it was some sick entertainment. It was very like Paige to interrupt an argument. She was such a kind heart. Since no one said anything for a while she continued.

"I mean, you know, if she decided to like blow up the kitchen, I’d stop her.” She winked at me, and everyone else looked like they would throw up. “I could come in handy.”

“I disagree. I think this is something Ashlynn needs to do on her own. Become independent and grow up.”

“You know what? You’re right.” I said plopping into the couch, placing my feet on the glass table and picking an apple from the fruit bowl.

“I am?”  Aunt Laurie asked surprised.

“Sure you are.” I said between munching.

“So you’re going to wear this thing?” Kass said pointing at the ugly outfit I couldn't bare to look at.

“Yea why not. If it makes you happy Auntie.” I said with the most believable fake smile.

“Well, then. You guys have a nice time unpacking and settling down.” She said as she exited with a face that undeniably was very pleased with herself for talking me into this.

“Yea, okay, what’s your plan?” Tori smirked once my Aunt wasnt between hearing distance.

“Oh no plan my dear.” I grinned.

“Lies!” Aly yelled from one of the rooms.

“No, really. There’s no plan. It’s going to be all improv for now on. ”

                 I walked into the room I had chosen and began to unpack and so did everyone else.  I unzipped my three suitcases and blankly stared at where to begin. I unfolded a few shirts, skirts and such and flung them in a few drawers too tired and sleepy to care. As I unfolded an old shirt i intended to use to use as sleepwear, small pink notebook slipped. My heart began to beat a thousand miles per hour. How the hell did this get in here? I have no clue, but it’d been a while seen I last saw it. I didn’t have to open it to know what it was, but I unfasten the ribbon to open it anyways, undeniably a huge mistake.

I turned the pages and fought the intense pain building in my eyes. They were all unfinished lines of songs, foolish and useless. The only thing worth keeping was for the writing in the last page.

No matter where life takes you, just know you were born to have a place in this world. Always follow your dreams my little Ashley. I’ll always be here for you, following you every step of the way

Love,

Mommy

It was dated back in 2002, the years she left me all alone in this cold world. A tear smeared the delicate ink.