5. Rebellious Work

5. Rebellious Work

“Morning Ladies!”  The voice startled me and I tore the pillow from under me and slammed it on top of my head.

“Wake up Ash!” My Aunt yelled from the living room. I tossed over to see that it was just 11 am.

                I hurled myself out of bed, tripping over my unpacked suitcases that lay carelessly on the floor. The little notebook my mother had given me dropped from my hand where I hadn’t noticed it’d been. I must have fallen asleep with it. I carefully placed it inside my night table and trotted to the bathroom. I studied my face as I brushed my teeth.  In the mirror it was surely noticeable that I had cried last night for my eyes looked weak and weary, there were bags under them. I washed my face quickly and proceeded to the living room. When I entered, my aunt had a stack of pamphlets in her hand. Kass, Tori, Paige and Alyssa looked dashing and vibrant. I looked down at my grey shirt and sweats.

“Here are today’s activities” Laurie said handing each a booklet of paper. “Feel free to do and go wherever you’d like.”

My stomach rumbled and my Aunt pretended to just become aware that I was standing there. 

“Morning doll.” She said with a smile.

I stood there with my arms across my chest, not bothering to respond.

“Well, get dressed, what are you waiting for? The uniform is in your closet.”

Kassandra snickered already testing my patience. “Shut it Kass.” I replied then grumbled back to my room.

                I snatched the uniform from the hanger and slit on the white pencil skirt and white polo that came with a black vest with thin white stripes. A tiny silver name tag was pined to the shirt, it read “Ashlynn”. I grabbed my hair in one hand and tied it in a sloppy pony-tail with the other meanwhile slipping on my black and white converse. “Done.” I whispered taking one last look in the mirror and heading back to the living room.     

“Don’t laugh!” I said peeking into where the girls sat discussing their afternoon plans. They looked up curiously and I walked towards them as if I were some runway model, causing them to chuckle. Might as well pretend I was okay with making a fool of myself.

“Dude, you don’t even look that bad, it’s actually cute!” Alyssa said with a sincere smile.

 “Don’t lie to her.”  Kass said turning her attention to a glass of orange juice.

 “Kassandra why don’t you just go choke on a d---”

 “Hey! That’s enough! You get going; you’re not going to be late.” Aunt Lauren said interrupting me.

 "See you later babes." I winked, blowing a kiss to Alyssa, Tori and Paige. They giggled as i closed the door.

 "No homo!" I said peeking back inside, setting off an encore of giggles.

 "Alright thats enough." Aunt Laurie said impaciently. I rolled my eyes and was on my way. 

             The restaurant wasn’t too far it was just two floors down. The ship was filled with teenagers running around giggling and enjoying there time, while I was getting weird stares from them. I hurried along to minimize the time I had to bee seen around looking like this.

                I entered The Gardens from the employee side. “At least it’s an elegant restaurant.” I said, pep talking myself. The kitchen smelled of freshly baked garlic bread and spices, it was actually making my head spin. It was probably from the fact that I was running on empty this morning. I took a quick glance around the kitchen and made sure no one was watching me, the kitchen staff looked intense and focused, they wouldn’t notice. I grabbed a bread stick and dipped it into the butter and took a huge bite. Mmmm! I would defiantly get use to this---