Chapter Thirty-Two

The masters shook their heads.

"We must find someone to stand in Aegus' stead," Melkor said. "Who may we find?"

"Restus is wise," the master of the Mendaris said, only having held the position since the beginning of the Voltaris Invasion and Kaikortrias' death. "He is a strong man. He can lead the Nestoris."

The masters all slowly assented, and sent a servant to fetch whoever Restus was.

"Now. To the most important reason for our council," Melkor said, "The decimation of the Sendaris command center."

Sarrettus stood, Acchilean and Thallous by his side, Aggrenall standing at parade rest behind them.

"Sir, the base has been destroyed far beyond last time. Repairs will take months, maybe years. We can't use it. What wasn't hit is unstable and dangerous to be in."

Melkor looked down. "We will find another post. Can you describe the events of the battle?"

Sarrettus plunged into a details analysis of the tactics of the Nether. Nothing presented was new: the Nether's strategies were infallible and unchanging throughout their raids.

"And the Voltaris were not present during the fight?"

"No, Ky-Melkor," the captain said. "They must've had other affairs."

Melkor stood. "The Nether is decimating our armies, and with the Voltaris by their side, we will lose this war. We must find other help."

"All of the nations have already allied," Thalleous said. "Acchilean united them months ago."

"I didn't-" the newly-promoted Nestoris said. Aegus' last action before the battle was to give Acchilean his new rank of Lieutenant. He was unable to finish his statement, however.

"Who is left for us to pursue?" The Kaltaris master, Brandus, inquired.

"The Glacians?" The Mendaris Wreaforn suggested.

"They never bother with us. All they care about is the Walls of Time, of events past," Melkor sighed. "The only role they will have in this war is to harp on about the winner."

"Perhaps, due to the dire nature of the situation-"

"They will not aid us. We are to fall unless we can find real help."

The room collapsed into an argument among the masters about the moral standing of the Glacians. Thalleous shot Sarrettus a sideways look. Aggrennall buried his face in his hands as his master shouted and yelled like an overgrown toddler.

"I know who can save us!" Acchilean yelled. The masters turned to him.

"Who, boy? Speak up, lieutenant!" Melkor said.

Acchilean hesitated for a brief moment, then said "The Lightblade."

"Lightblade?" Brandus chuckled. "An old legend! He is but a children's story. I expected more from an officer."

"If we send for him, and he doesn't respond, demote me, discharge me, do whatever," Acchilean said, pacing. "I don't care. You said yourself we're fighting a losing battle. Our stores of gold are plentiful, building an altar to him will not harm your pockets!"

The masters were dumbstruck. Eventually, Wreaforn blinked rapidly.

"Perhaps the lightning god is worth a shot."

Wreaforn walked out with the militiamen, hauling blocks of gold.

"I'm sorry the other masters shan't aid you, Lieutenant," he said.

"It's their choice," Acchilean said. "Lay out a square about..." he traced an invisible square on the ground, several meters in size. "...This big. Then we can start making the pyramid, and lay out the other components."

Thalleous had no idea what they were doing. Judging by the confused look that had not left Sarrettus face for a second in the last twenty minutes, he didn't either. Wreaforn and Acchilean must have, because they acted like they had done this hundreds of times before.

"Redstone!" Acchilean yelled. Sarrettus threw him the crimson dust. Sprinkling it around the large gold pyramid, he threw some random rocks and crystals and other strange objects on the altar. Finally, he stood before his creation.

"Would you like to do the honors, Ky-Wreaforn?" Acchilean offered.

"Thank you, boy, but this was your idea," the Mendaris said with a warm smile.

"Very well." Acchilean, looking somewhat nervous, spread out his arms and puffed out his chest.

"God of the Storm, hear my plea!"

Thalleous gave Sarrettus an inquiring look. Sarrettus shook his head. They had no clue what was happening.

"Come save us from our impending fate! Grant us your blessing, and your presence!"

Nothing happened. Thalleous thought he noticed a flicker on the altar, but it turned out to be his own shadow.

"Give it a while," the Nestoris said.

"Lieutenant," Sarrettus said, finally confessing his lack of knowledge. "Who or what exactly are we trying to get the attention of?"

Acchilean turned to him. "There's a lot of stories and depictions of him, so he has a lot of names." He turned around to stare at the altar. "Lightblade, Thor, Ouranous..."

"What's the most commonly used title?" Thalleous asked.

Suddenly, a ranging boom shot through the sky.

"We're under attack, to the masters!" Sarrettus yelled, thinking he heard cannon fire.

"No!" Wreaforn yelled. "That was the one we're trying to summon! That was thunder, captain!"

"Thunder?" Thalleous said, now doubting Wreaforn's sanity. "It's a perfectly clear day!"

The master turned to face the altar. "Gods and their power are not influenced by the weather, Lieutenant."

A flash of lightning graced the sky, white and blinding. A bolt struck the altar, setting it aflame. Blinded by the searing bolt, the detachment covered their eyes.

"Lieutenant, what is his name?" Sarrettus said, dozens of mythical demons and monsters from his youth gracing his mind.

But it was not the Lieutenant in the Nestoria Militia who responded with his uncertain, saddened voice: instead, a booming, primordial tone spoke a mere three words as their vision returned, revealing to them eyes as powerful and bright as the lightning, as imposing as the thunder, blinding white and fearsome as any storm.

"I am Herobrine."

Author's Note:

Hello, all. I was able to publish earlier than expected: I cranked this chapter out in a short time.

I hope you're enjoying the story, and finding it fun to engage with. We're #3 in #blackplasmastudios and #9 in #songsofwar! Thanks for your support.

Godspeed,

-KOS