Chapter Twenty-Nine

Thalleous stepped along the path that led to his base's village. He trod on the dirt roads dotted with cobblestone. As he got closer, he saw smoke rising into the sky. He broke into a run, hoping the smoke did not come from the place he thought. He ran down the hill leading to his posting, and saw a battle from within the castle seep out. A newly constructed Nether portal stood to the side. Thalleous ducked to the ground quickly, and noticed several soldiers standing behind a barricade. He gestured to them, beckoning them over. They ran towards him as the last skeletons entered their fortress.

"We breach the entrance, slaughter the skeletons, push from behind," he said. "There's probably already people ready to aid us when we get inside. Ready?"

The soldiers chorused. "Yes, sir!" they shout-whispered.

"Move!" Thalleous ordered. They ran in, dodging arrows from errant skeletal enemies along the way. The lieutenant moved with speed to the gates of the fortress, and bashed open the doors. He cut through a netheran.

"To our quarters!" He yelled as he busted down the door to the housing wing. He slashed open a blazes' rods as he spun through the room. He quickly willed his boardsword to grow potent, and a tingling ran through his hand as the blade began to glow. He chopped through his foes as a sergeant yelled "Orders, sir?!"

Thalleous panted. "Secure the medical wing!"

"Yes, sir!" They all ran to the injured, where a chaotic fray was ringing. Pursued by the enemies they had left alive from their quarters, they jumped into the larger battle, fearing not death, but the destruction of what they loved.

Sarrettus approached Pythus, who was still lying on the ground, heaving and wheezed in pain.

"You can take a hit, can you?" The captain asked, rageful and vengeant. "Well, my brothers weren't very lucky. Neither were my sisters, or my parents, or my clansmen."

Pythus, still feeling an ache in pack back from being thrown into a wall, looked at Sarrettus.

"Your blood deserved death..." he rasped.

Sarrettus raised his head. "So do you." He gave a primordial yell, he sword raised, it was inches from the Prince's neck...

Then, an arrow grazed his shoulder. He hissed in pain, and Pythus rolled to the side and slowly stood up. He ran several yards away from Sarrettus and was quickly surrounded by dueling soldiers: there was no way to get to him now. A earth-shaking boom rang through the room as Aegus used his song to blast through the Netherans, making Sarrettus an opening. Just as Sarrettus began to run towards his foe, the Master's chest was pierced by an arrow. He leaned on his staff and cried out in agony.

"Aegus!" Sarrettus yelled, now running towards the Nestoris. Two more arrows whizzed at the master as he grunted in pain. The Nestoris looked directly at the captain, his arm shaking, and Aegus Nestoris fell to the ground, having died in the defense of Sendaria.

Author's Note:

Hey, all. My device took a nice little dive off a cliff for a few days, so that's why I didn't post.

Chapter 30 should come some time next week.

Godspeed,

-KOS