Chapter Twelve

Sarrettus was discussing the tactics of the Nether as Thalleous ran in.

"Lieutenant?" Sarrettus said.

"Sir, the netheran said that Tygren showed him a portal to Ontretheia one year ago."

"They planned this since the beginning of the Nether invasion?"

"Apparently, sir. They knew we'd react to the Nether invasion, they knew that the primes would be concentrated there. They knew they'd be taken to Eterden, because it's secure and so close by. They knew what we were going to do before we did it, because we've being using the same tactics against them for almost a millenia."

"But how would they know where we selected champions?" Osivian asked. "How would they know we were to take them to Eterden for sure? How would they know that the primes would be here?"

Thalleous thought for a moment, then spoke. "They must have Netheran reconnaissance teams reporting back to them. A joint force, if you will."

"This is worse than we thought, much worse," A lieutenant said. "We'll have to-"

"The masters will decide what we have to do," Sarrettus said. "Prepare your troops for orders and stand by."

"Yes, sir," the lieutenant said. "Thalleous. I'll report your findings to Major Wrentorn. He'll know what to do with this information. If the Voltaris had planned this for a year, then that meant they might know all their secrets.

"Sir, what if they have classified information? Battle plans, meeting places-"

"That is on the master's shoulders to decide." Sarrettus grimaced. "I must leave you for Melkor. Thalleous, you are in charge of these officers while I am away."

"Yes, sir."

Thalleous, now on watch, prepared to run combat drills with his officers. As he readied a wooden sword, he thought about the netheran's curious nature and disposition towards him. Why would he treat him with such a cordial nature, even respect?

Strange things were coming from the Nether, and why the invasion had even happened was a mystery to all.

Ingressus walked in silence with Tygren by his side, barely strong enough to stand up. He stepped over a large boulder into New Voltaria.

"Ky-Ingressus has returned!" One ardoni yelled. A cheer rang through the crowd.

"We thought you had left us!" One Voltaris yelled, tears of joy in his eyes.

"I could never leave you," Ingressus said, beaming despite his weariness. "Everything I do is for my brothers!"

Author's Note:

Hello, everyone. I know this chapter was quite short, but please hang tight: I'll be increasing chapter length soon.

Apologies for the formatting disaster of chapter 11: A similar issue was present with chapter 8, where the title wouldn't change from a numeral to a word. I'll make sure that this glitch doesn't happen again.

We're gaining traction fast, so let me know what you thought about this chapter: I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Chapter 13 will be the last chapter released this year: After Christmas, I'll be on vacation until 2023. However, publication will resume afterward, and I hope to have many comments and discussions to partake in when I return!

Merry Christmas,

-KOS