Chapter Thirty

Rendore's eyes opened, seeing the rocks that laid upon him. He rose slowly, grunting in pain. His knights surrounded him, in various stages of injury. An Ardoni ran by. Rendore called out to him.

"The Nether, did they do this?" the Sendaris nodded, then sped back to his duties.

"All knights, rise for the End!" Rendore yelled, his traditional rally.

"For the End!" his men chorused.

"To our dragons!" He ran to the field where he had laid their mounts to rest, his armor deflecting shot after shot. The battle grew more chaotic, spreading across the whole village, until finally, Rendore saw his fleet.

"To mounts!" He bellowed. "Haul saddles and ride braces!"

The Enderknights mounted their steeds.

"To the Militia!" he ordered, and his warriors rode to battle.

Sarrettus and Thalleous ran outside, pursuing several enemies. Acchilean followed them

"Where is Aegus?" He yelled. "Where is he?"

Thalleous remained silent, but Sarrettus gave a scream of rage.

"Netherans!" he yelled, as if that settled the matter. He slashed at his foes, brutality cutting at them, slicing open their abdomens.

"You fought with him, Captain," Acchilean said as Sarrettus stood in the bodies of his enemies, now drenched in blood. "I couldn't see where he was towards the end. Where is he?"

Sarrettus stood, panting, unmoving.

Acchilean ran towards him. "Where is he, Sarrettus?!" despite being half a foot shorter than Sarrettus, he still looked fiercely intimidating when the two were standing off.

Sarrettus looked Acchilean in the eye. "He meant everything to you, didn't he?"

Acchilean's eyes narrowed. "Meant?"

Sarrettus looked down. "Three arrows in the chest. He was fighting."

Understanding what the captain meant, Acchilean sat down, his knees unable to hold his weight, the realization that he would never see Master Aegus again crushing him.

Pythus surveyed the battlefield. He was bruised and injured, but still pressed on.

"Make to the hills. We end this battle soon, and it would be a pity to suffer...collateral damages."

His commanders nodded, rallying their troops to where they would meet with King Chronos. They ran to a clearing in the forest, where an unnoticed Nether portal lay, soldiers spilling out of it. Soon, the Lord of the Nether emerged.

"Do you have the materials for the cannons?" The son asked the father. The King nodded.

"And have you weakened their forces?" Chronos asked Pythus.

"We did. Our force was of...suitable size this time, and we did not have the Voltaris to worry about."

"Where did you send our only allies, then?" Chronos asked.

"A felina city. They'll be back in time for the bombardment."

Chronos nodded. "Then prepare our soldiers to launch the explosives." Chronos turned to the reinforcements he had brought, thus doubling the invasion force. "March to the Sendaria Militia!"

Acchilean sat on the ground, his lip twitching.

"He died to save these lands," Sarrettus said, his crimson-soaked hair blowing in the wind.