"A-And that's exactly why, Mom!" Kimiko whirled back to Mom, who was sitting patiently.

"I've loved Masahiko-kun for... for almost six years! Ever since I met him in my first year of high school. You can't just take that away from me! There's no way I'd let us break apart in just a few months! We know each other so well- I love him so much!"

Mom sighed quietly. "It's just infatuation. Something that will blow over quickly."

Kimiko's eyes narrowed. "If you call six years infatuation, then I don't know what love could possibly be."

"You've idolized this Masahiko," Mom replied coldly. "Once you truly know him, you'll learn that he's not who you imagined him to be. What family is he from?"

"Why does it matter?" Kimiko asked pleadingly.

"I have arranged for this marriage in the best interest of the Hayashi and Oshiro family. Surely you should understand."

"Well I don't want to marry this guy! I don't care what great family he's from!" Kimiko stood up, eyes blazing with a mix of emotions.

"Ungrateful brat!" Mom shrieked, standing up too. She wasn't very tall, and was, in fact, a bit shorter than Kimiko. "You of all people should know better than this!"

"Says who?! I am grateful!" Now she was yelling. "But you don't understand a thing at all!

You can pick my house! My job! Where I work and when I work! You can pick my clothes for all I care! But you can not take away my choice of who I love! I love Masahiko! And that's that! Not that dude! Whoever that dude is!"

Then she was crying. But she CONTINUED on amidst sobs, rubbing at her eyes and sniffling. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry I can't do anything to repay you. I know I'm not as great as Rika. I know I'm not as smart or capable. I'm sorry I'm just a burden. But, I'm asking you, please just let me... please don't make me marry him. Please. I just want... this choice. And don't try to make... please don't force the same- not on Rika. Please, not Rika. Let-Let her pick too."

Mom frowned. Her forehead creased ever so slightly. She never had been much of a sucker for tears. But she would usually back up a bit when there were tears.

"Stop your crying, Kimiko. I'll let you think it over." She sat down, crossing her arms once more. "However, I believe in the end you will be with him."

Kimiko froze. She quickly rubbed the rest of the tears away and took a deep breath.

"That's it?" She said. "You think, that in the end, I'll marry this dude?"

"His name is Funaki Shoichi. And you've met him a few times before." Mom said.

Kimiko made an exasperated noise, throwing her arms up. "Whatever! Sho whatever! You think I'll marry him? Well I don't want to, Mom!" Kimiko seemed to spit the last word. "I won't. I have the choice of who I marry. Me." She pointed at herself.