Chapter 7 - The Argument

Vector made his way through the halls, and upon entering the lab, he was surprised to see that Tails had stopped working on the glove, and Sonic in a seemingly chill state. "What are you doing, Prower?" He asked, irritated.

Sonic answered instead. "Uh...kind of been wondering the same thing about you."

"You're supposed to be locating the emerald."

Tails nodded. "We are. The model's locked and we're sweeping for the signature now. When we get a hit, we'll have the location within half a mile," he said with a smirk.

"And you'll get the emerald, no muss, no fuss." Sonic looked at a monitor that showed a collection of files. "What is Gen 2?"

Suddenly, Shadow burst in and slammed a Black Arms weapon on the table, causing the others to look back at him. And boy did he look pissed.

"'Gen 2' is G.U.N uses the emerald to make weapons."

Vector tried to explain. "Shadow, we gathered everything related to the Master Emerald. This does not mean that we're-"

"I'm sorry, Vector." Sonic turned the screen toward the crocodile, showing him the weapon plans that were dug up. "What we're you lying? I mean uh, saying?"

"I was wrong, director. The world hasn't changed a bit," Shadow scoffed.

At that moment, Knuckles, Amy and Rouge walked into the lab. Rouge kept her eyes right on Sonic, who quickly caught on.

"How much did you know?" He asked. "Or did you know at all?"

"You wanna think about removing yourself from this environment, hedgehog?" Rouge said, avoiding his question.

"I was in Green Hill; I was pretty well removed."

She didn't take her eyes off him for even one millisecond. "Starline's manipulating you."

"And you've been doing what exactly?"

"You didn't come here because I bat my eyelashes at you," she remarked.

Sonic stopped leaning on one of the tables, standing his ground. "Yes, and I'm not leaving because suddenly you get a little twitchy. I'd like to know why G.U.N. is using the Master Emerald to build weapons of mass destruction."

"Because of him," Vector intervened, pointing at Knuckles.

The echidna seemed stunned at the action. "Me?"

"Last year, we had a visitor from and island who had a grudge match that leveled a small town. We learned that not only are we not alone, but we are hopelessly, hilariously, outgunned," Vector explained.

Knuckles shook his head. "We want nothing but peace."

"But you're not the only person out there, are you? And, you're not the only threat. The world's filling up with people who can't be matched, they can't be controlled."

Amy piped up. "Like you controlled the emerald?"

"Your work with the Master Emerald is what drew Starline to it, and his allies. It is the signal that this world is ready for a higher form of war," Knuckles added.

"A higher form?" Shadow questioned.

Vectors voice started to raise. "You forced our hand. We had to come up with something."

"Nuclear deterrent. 'Cause that always calms everything right down," Tails remarked sarcastically.

"Remind me again how you made your fortune, kid?" Vector asked, turning to the young fox.