Chapter 3 - The Preparations

On the Tornado, Shadow was sitting down on the top wings with a tablet, watching the footage of the Werehogs rampage in Empire City.

"We're about forty minutes out from base, sir," said the plane's pilot. Agent Silver stood up from the other wing and flew over to Shadow.

"So, they were trying to replicate the chaos energy that was used on me?" The hedgehog asked the other.

"A lot of people were. You were the world's first. They thought chaos radiation might hold the key to unlocking powers such as yours," Amy explained, joining the two.

Shadow looked down at the footage once more, seeing the insanity that occurred. "Didn't really go his way, did it?"

"Not so much. When he's not that thing though, he's really cool and regarded mostly as a hero. His powers got drained but some remained, now he controls it better," she responded.

Silver gave a small nervous chuckle. "I gotta say, it's an honor to meet you, officially."

Shadow raised an eyebrow at the hedgehogs' words, making Silver try clearing things up. "I sort of met you, I mean, I watched you while you were sleeping. Wait I'm sorry that sounded weird-"

Shadow looked down before standing up and shutting off the tablet. He walked to the front of the plane, careful not to fall off with Silver and Amy following behind.

"I mean, I was- I was present while you were unconscious in the bunker. You know, it's really, it's just a... just a huge honor to have you on board," he said.

Amy gave a small awkward whistle. "Nice going." Silver gave her a small glare.

"Well, I hope I'm the man for the job," replied Shadow, not making eye contact.

"Oh, you are. Absolutely. Uh... we've made some modifications to your boots. I had a little design input," said Silver.

"And by that he means a lot of design input," remarked the pink hedgehog.

"My boots? Aren't they a little...outdated and old fashioned?" Shadow wondered.

Silver smirked. "With everything that's happening, the things that are about to come to light, people might just need a little old fashioned." Shadow seemed to take in his sentiment.

***

In the underground lab, several soldiers under Starline's mind control ran around, preparing to infiltrate whatever the platypus had planned. Starline walked to a corner of the facility before using a jewel to open a portal to the space station from once he came.

The hooded figure appeared behind some steps. "The Badniks grow restless," he informed.

"Let them go at themselves. I will lead them into glorious battle."

"Battle? Against the meager might of Mobius?" The hooded one questioned.

"Glorious, not lengthy. If your force is as formidable as you claim," Starline retorted.

"You question us? You question him? He who gave you ancient knowledge and new purpose when you were cast out, defeated?"

The platypus' eye twitched at those words. "I was already knowledgeable! No one respected my efforts! Betrayed! The doctor recognizes my talents, unlike them."

"Your ambition is little, born of childish need. We look beyond Mobius to greater worlds the Master Emerald will unveil. Ones that your precious science can't bring."

Starline rolled his eyes. "You don't have the emerald yet." At this, the hooded one ran to attack him, stopped as Starline held up his glove.

"I don't threaten, but until I open the doors, until your force is mine to command, you are but words," he told.