Chapter 4: A Fair Warning

♪~"It's a good thing I'm not human then"~♪

♡✿♡✿♡✿♡

We drank our beers in silence, before I decided to break it. "How's things at home?"

"Oh the usual, there's nothing really. Your life is way more interesting than mine anyway."

"Gab, come on, you can tell me anything," I reassured him. He let out a deep sigh.

"Well, Mother just found out my Father's been having an affair, been keeping it to herself, then yesterday she confronted him about it and well you will know how that went." He circled the glass containing the beer before draining it in one gulp.

"Don't worry, these things always happen, why even Gwen went through the same thing, but didn't it work out for her?"

"I guess. You don't know my Mother, she's not exactly the forgiving type," he mumbled.

"If there's one thing to make a person forgive, it's love. Who's the woman anyway?"

"Lady Signy Derve," he spat the name out as though it was poison. I spat out my drink in shock.

"Signy? Madam Signy?"

"Yes, why? Do you know her?" he asked.

"Not personally, but she did gave my sisters and me courtly ladylike manners. Something I didn't like of course but was forced into," I told him matter-of-factly. "But she didn't seem to appear like a person who would steal another's husband. Madam Signy was always so- strict and tight lipped."

"Like you said, don't judge a book by it's cover," he sighed. "I'm going to step out, get some fresh air." I nodded as he got up and walked out of the bar. Not long after, Gabriel's empty seat was occupied by someone else. I couldn't look at the face properly even if I wanted to since it had been concealed by a grey hood.

"What would you like to have, sir?" Oliver who had noticed the stranger asked him.

"Give me your strongest," the person demanded in a deep voice.

"One Bitter Seas it is," Oliver said joyously and turned back to make the drink.

"Must be having a bad day to order that," I said, downing the last of my beer and setting the glass down.

"And what makes you say that, lady?" he sneered, turning his head slightly, addressing me.

"For instance, your knuckles are all bloody and your clothes disheveled, torn and dirtied. And you should know a Bitter Seas is a very bitter and expensive drink hence the name. So either you are a noble in disguised or a poor person who happened upon a fortune," I monotonously stated. "Also your clothes are made of the finest piece in the kingdom."

"You knew all that just by an appearance?" he asked in disbelief.

"Let's say I can read a person well by it," I whispered, smiling. "I should get going, before my sister finds out I'm not in my room." I got up, about to head for the door when the man suddenly grabbed my wrist. I tried to free myself from the grip but he just held on tighter.

"Not so fast, princess," the man's voice changed from what was a deep voice to a high pitched, singsong one.

"How did you know me?" I demanded, trying yet again the futile attempt to free my wrist.

"Ahh, now that my dear, you will soon understand." The man lifted up the hood, features changing of that of a young man's to a humanlike creature with scaly skin and lizard like eyes, which were watching me with pure amusement.