Chapter 13: Attack

Alexios was true to his word. He stopped being as rude to me and actually tried to get along . I found out he's naturally quiet and sarcastic though but I was growing to like his personality. I was also becoming much stronger.  Now I could win when Alexios had a handicap, which I couldn't do before.

"Stop."

"Yea?" I huffed out.

"Your kicks are horrendous. Is your goal to stop your opponent or break your leg?" Alexios criticized.

"Rude." 

"I would rather be rude than let your leg end up in a cast. Now, watch me." Alexios turned his body to the left with his feet pointing straight, then pulled his leg up and kicked.

"Try it like that." 

I stood, feet straight, knee pulled up at a 90-degree angle, and kicked before losing my balance and falling backward.  I grunted in pain after my back collided with the mat.

"Do you mind if I touch you?" He asked

"No,"

"What's your dominant side?"

"Left." He grabbed my hips and turned us so we were facing left. I could feel the heat of his breath tickling the back of my neck. I rushed to change the topic, I could feel my cheeks heating from our closeness.

"Don't you think that's weird? That I'm left-handed and all."

"Not really, but that might be because I'm ambidextrous," He pushed me feet so they were facing straight ahead.

"That's cool." I felt the warmth from his body recede and saw him walk in front of me.

"Try kicking." I kicked out and hit him.

He grunted in pain, "What was that for?'

"You said to kick?" I defended myself.

"Not when I'm standing right in front of you! I was still walking."

"Well, sorry." I chew my lip in nervousness.

Alexios had a small smile on his lips. Lately, he's seemed much happier, it must be because he's finally not surround by people that would take any possible chance to degrade him.

Suddenly, I hear a commotion going on outside. Alexios and I turn to each other and he says, "We should go see what's happening." I nod.

We open the door to see pure chaos. There were soldiers rushing around the castle and I saw bodies being wheeled in body bags.

"Oh my god." I whispered, holding my hand over my mouth in horror. Was someone attacking us? Is it the werewolves again?

"Calm down, let's go and look for Blake or Amara. They probably know what's going on." Alexios said. We walked to Blake's room in the soldier's wing and knocked. Blake opened the door, but his expression was the most serious that I had ever seen on him.

"Blake, do you know anything about what's going on?" I asked.

"You mean the commotion upstairs?" He asked while pointing at the ceiling.

"Yes." Alexios responded this time.

"The hunters attacked and this time... it's really bad." Instantly, Alexios' face twisted into a grave expression.

"Who are the hunters?" I said to Blake and then I turned to Alexios, "Do you know?"

"The hunters are what we call these groups of humans that know about supernatural beings like us. They hunt and kill werewolves, vampires, and witches." Blake explained.

"Do you know the Salem witch trials?" Alexios asked.

"Yea."

"The hunters were behind that." I was shocked at how far their influence reached.

"But they're humans...Shouldn't they be much weaker than supernaturals."

"They are weaker but they make up for that in their numbers and equipment. They will use Glacia and wooden stakes if necessary." Blake shuddered at the thought.

"What's Glacia?" I asked.

"Its a type of plant that can weaken and, in large doses, kill a vampire." Alexios responded.  "Anyway, what's the plan?" 

"For now, we are surveying the area and trying to find the best course of action." Blake said.

"What job should I do?" I asked.

"Nothing."

"I can't just do nothing, if I'm going to lead these people I need to be there during the good and bad."

"No, he's right." Alexios said, "You can't lead if you're dead." Silently, he also meant: 'I can't go home if you're dead.'

I walked closer to Alexios and whispered, so Blake couldn't hear, "You also can't go home if everyone in this place, including you, die from the hunters."

He looked like he still didn't agree, but stopped pressing the issue. "Give me a job, Blake. It could be something away from danger." I demanded.

"Fine," Blake reluctantly agreed, "You can work in the tech wing."

"Thank you." I heaved a relieved sigh. 

"Yea, yea." Blake grumbled, but he didn't seem genuinely upset.