Chapter 11: The Fight

Alexios and I headed to the royal training room. I opened the doors and saw that Blake, Amara and Ishan were all there.

"She did it." Amara deadpanned.

"Did what?" I asked.

"Valerie, who'd anger to get him?" Blake exasperated.

"No one..." I draw out, but then saw Blake's disbelieving face.  "General Hart." I sighed out.

"Was it was worth it, Valerie?" Ishan asked, gently.

"I think it was."

"Then, I'm on Valerie's side. He's strong, he can be useful." I shot him a grateful smile. 

"I won't agree or disagree, but now we for sure need to work hard for you to win." Amara said.

"Understood."

"Let's start with introductions, I'm Amara." Amara introduced. They went around the room introducing each other.

"You are?" Amara asked.

"Number 400." Alexios said.

"Not your number," I told him, " Your name. We came up with one yesterday."

"I told you, I'm not letting them use that name."

"What's the difference between me and them?" I challenged.

"The difference is I'm forced to interact with you." 

I clenched my jaw in frustration.  I thought things were getting better.  "Quit acting like a child," I scolded before turning back to my friends. "Sorry about him, you can call him Alexios." I deliberately rose my voice when I said his name.

"Nice to meet you, Alexios." Blake's voice sounded like he was amused by our argument.

"Hello."

"Let's just start training," I said, I would rather not continue to listen to his voice.

"Alright. Why don't you and Alexios spar? We can test what you've learned and see Alexios strength." Amara suggested.

"Okay."

"Fine."

Alexios and I got on to opposite ends of the fighting mat.

"You may begin," Amara yelled.

I waited for Alexios to go on the offensive first but he didn't so much as blink.

"Aren't you going to move?" I yelled from across the mat.

"We are testing your level of strength, not mine." Alexios responded while putting on his brass knuckles.

"Fine." I had adapted to being on the defensive so often, I wasn't sure if I was prepared to fight on the offensive.  Let alone against someone of Alexios' skill. You have to win, you do this to win, I conceded. I crouch to the ground and spread my palms flat on the fabric. The floor started quivering before large spikes erupted. The spikes shot up from the ground, one by one, getting larger until they reached Alexios. One spike was about to impale his stomach, before he dodged it by dropping to his knees.

In a flash, he was in front of me, his fist buried in my abdomen before I could even react. I cough from the force of the hit, struggling to breathe, and I stagger back before he can go for my legs.

I cast a spell that sent rocks hurling toward him. A few hit his body, giving me enough time to kick his leg out, so he falls back, but his hand grabs my shirt, and I'm pulled down with him. He rolls us over, so I'm under him, his hands pinning my arms above my head. I looked around, surveying the possible escapes. I then remembered my familiars.

"1," Amara began counting.

"Kleidel!" I yelled. A swarm of purple butterflies appeared over us, charging at Alexios. They bit at his skin, likely drawing blood.

Alexios cursed. "Call off your puny flies."

" 2,"

"They're butterflies." I said cheekily, knowing he would get mad. I really ought to stop egging him on.

"Those."

" 3, Alexios won."

Looking into his eyes at this angle makes them take on a completely different colour, darker and bluer.

"I said the match is over, you guys can stop staring at each other," Amara grumbled.

I felt my face heat, I must look like a strawberry. "I just noticed what an ugly face he has, Amara, Very striking." I laughed nervously and Alexios narrowed his eyes and me. Amara looked like she didn't believe me but kept from commenting.

"What do you think of her skill, Alexios?" Blake asked.

"She is weak, much more work is needed." I have a sneaking suspicion that he was extra harsh because of my comment.

"How about you watch her training and take notes on how to improve her routine?" Blake suggested.

"That could work." After training more, Alexios and I decided that he could start as my guard after the week.

                                                                              ________________

That week was hard but I felt that I was slowly improving, but Alexios kept an unimpressed expression on his face. At the end of the week, he would give me his input. I just hoped that he wouldn't be too harsh about it.

"Let's discuss this in the hallway, I don't want them listening in." I chuckled nervously, chewing my bottom lip.

We headed into the white brick hallway that was so secluded and unused that the lights flickered.

I stood in front of him, my gaze locked on his chunky, black, army boots.

"Give it to me straight."

"Give up" I was so surprised my gaze shot up to his eyes.

"What?" My eyebrows scrunched in confusion.

"I've been watching you for a week now and you're horrible. You obviously don't care, so stop wasting my time."

I was silent before I could even think. "How dare you?" I demanded. "You don't know a thing about me and how hard I work."

"I learned enough about all that the past week." Alexios rolled his eyes.

"You think you did?" I smiled but he could tell it was not from happiness.  "Did you not consider the other reasons I'm like this?  To you, I'm goofing around, not putting in the effort, but for a human, I'm doing well.  My life was completely uprooted these past two weeks.  I used to have dreams and friends and- and a life," I exasperated.  "But now, I'm forced to gain a decade's worth of fighting experience in three months.  Not to mention dodging death threats because of all the people who hate my mother.  My father could be dead because of your people." I thrust my finger at his chest.  "So excuse me for being horrible."

"The mother that I thought just left me is actually dead and on top of that, she's a horrible person." My voice cracked and I could feel tears burning the backs of my eyes. "I almost died because of people's hatred of her. I know should hate her but she is my mother and I love her." Now his image was spiraling, hard to make out due to the tears falling from my eyes.

"I-" Alexios started.

"No, you will let me speak this time." I enunciated. "Everyone hates me for things that I can't control. Yes, I am my mother's daughter but I never chose to have a monster as a mother so stop using that petty excuse to hate me!" I screamed, letting out all the pain that I had built up inside me. It felt freeing to let it out on him.

"I have done everything right. I was kind to you when you certainly made no effort. You hate me because I am a vampire? Well, join the club. What do you want me to do? Die? I won't bow down to you, so you'll have to make me!" Alexios looked taken aback, he was about to speak but I stormed off before he could.