17. Dumb dumb dumb insignificant love

🪷

🪷

Wednesday, mid October

Amaya looks down at the purplish blue smoothie in her hands. It's cold, making her hands reddish. It's probably not the ideal drink for such a terribly chilly day, with the rain still pouring down and even the inside of their school feeling less warm and dry than it should. But it's alright. Amaya can't think of the cold when she's sitting next to Mars inside their empty classroom. Everyone else is at lunch, giving them the privacy that Amaya needs to pry.

She wants to ask Mars about what happened last week, in the gym hall.

Mars didn't exactly agree to talking with her, but Amaya was tactical. She knows now that Mars never goes to eat lunch in the cafeteria, preferring to instead stay in the classroom and study over the forty minute break. So, Amaya hurried down to the canteen and bought two smoothies, and then ran back to the second floor and handed one of them to Mars, with an innocent smile and wide, sparkling eyes. Mars hesitated, but then accepted. Amaya felt honoured.

"Why did you throw that ball on Julia's face?"

And after drinking half of it in silence, she finally gathered the courage to ask. Mars glances at her, and then looks back down at her maths textbook.

"...For the same reason she made that boy throw it at you"

"To bully her?"

Mars snorts, catching Amaya off guard. She leans her head back with an uncharacteristic smile over her face, and shakes her head. Amaya's questions are certainly something. Mars takes a sip from her smoothie and thinks about what to answer, finding it amusing enough to keep smiling. Amaya swings her feet slightly from side to side. It feels awkward to even talk to Mars. She gets all shy and doesn't know what to say, afraid to say the wrong thing and jeopardise their entire blossoming of a new friendship. Mars, on the other hand, seems entirely relaxed.

"No, not to bully her. I did it as revenge"

Amaya immediately snaps her head to look at Mars, eyes wide.

"Revenge?"

The note that Amaya found on her desk a few weeks back flashes before her eyes. The word 'revenge' stood ever present on the neon coloured piece of paper, and she glued it into her new memory notebook, in case it would become important later on. Amaya wants to know who wrote that word on her desk, and why. It obviously wasn't herself since the handwriting is completely different from her own. All this talk about revenge now coming from Mars makes her wonder, if it... if it could possibly be her who wrote that note.

It doesn't make much logical sense, since Mars barely seems to know who she is, let alone has been to her house or her room. But since Amaya doesn't remember anything from her past, she needs to keep all doors open. Anything could be true, anything could have happened. She has no way of actually being sure of the realities of her own world.