6. Lothlorien Pt.1

I walked slowly next to Legolas as we talked softly. The southern road was long and weaved among the large oaks and golden willows of the Lorien forest. It seemed like hours passed. As the trees grew thicker, they changed to Mallorn trees, and a few I didn't recognize. I noticed Legolas' happy demeanor dampen slightly once we were among the thick rooted canopy.

"What troubles you?" I asked. He has calmed me perhaps I can help him.

"The Golden Wood simply reminds me of what my home used to be."

"I'm sure it is beautiful, my father told me many stories of Greenwood."

"In the fall months, the leaves all turn vibrant and indescribable colors. Trees high as mountains, with trunks wider than buildings in some places."

"I can only imagine Mirkwood's beauty. Lorien's woods turn such amazing colors but it is only shades of green and gold. Each realm has its own aura and gifts."

"Reds, Orange, Yellow, even the Brown leaves look remarkable as the seasons change." He said with a slight smile.

"After you complete this quest of yours perhaps I could come vis..." I paused.

I heard a branch snap then it was silent. I only heard the wind pass through the trees for a few minutes. There was a second snap a few minutes later. I turned my head towards the sound, only to feel Legolas flat against my back, bow drawn.

"Who travels in these sacred woods?" I heard a voice ask from my left.

"Legolas Thranduilion and Maethriel of Hidenil" He called out in response, tightening his bow, eyes narrowing I'm sure. Thranduilion? He is KING THRANDUIL'S SON? That makes him...a prince. No time for thoughts on that; I drew my bow in defense as well.

"Ah, Legolas, it has been many years." A taller elf stepped out showing dark brown eyes and golden blonde hair longer than Legolas'. Legolas relaxed and put his bow to his back. We walked towards the elves.

"Orophin, a Warden of Lorien?" Legolas chuckled greeting the leader and placing his hand on his shoulder. So they know each other? Had he not just said he has never been to the woods?

"What brings you to the Golden Woods? It has been many years and The Lord and Lady were not expecting our Mirkwood kin. We often come to you."  Well, that answers that, they went to the woodland realm. 

"We travel with the Fellowship set out from Rivendell." Legolas said looking serious again. Everyone of importance seems to know of the purpose of their company except you know...me!

"I will take you to my brother." His tone wasn't so easygoing anymore either.

I looked between the two elves in front of me. Legolas was once again tense. What was so important about this fellowship of theirs that brought such negativity?

"Legolas? Can we trust him?" I asked in the common tongue hoping the elf wouldn't understand.

"Yes." He nodded before following the group of elves.

I followed wearily staying close to him as possible and away from the wardens. We walked some time before we reached a tree with a watch Talon above. It looked identical to every other one in the Lorien forest. Lothlorien's borders were especially very well protected. We quickly ascended the ladder and came face to face with the other members of our group. I smiled and stood next to the hobbits with Legolas not too far behind me.

Aragorn and Legolas conversed softly about where we had gone, but their conversation was cut short by an elf walking up to us. We all gave the tall and muscular elf our attention. He looked familiar but I could not place his dark eyes and gold hair at first. But the longer I looked at him, the more I thought. I knew his face. Then it hit me; a face I wish I could forget, a face of pain and sadness as he ran through my village. Haldir, Marchwarden of Lorien.