"Belle reminded you of that?"

"Yes, in this moment in her life. She embodies that very saying. When she experiences suffering, Belle showers others with love."

"Wow! I had never known that humans and mermaids were so alike."

"Indeed. You will learn more as we continue our adventure together," he replied.

Jacques's eyes shot open. Our adventure together? That sounded so romantic, I'm not that type, and Arieshell doesn't know what love is. Right? Maybe she does and feels the same. I hope.

He couldn't help but surrender to his feelings and thoughts. Could it be fate that he was supposed to fall in love with a mythical and fantastical creature? His eyes darted around the room.

Jacques saw Arieshell and Gus setting up small makeshift beds and getting ready to sleep. The candlelight lit another small bed in the corner. Jacques smiled as he stepped toward it. He turned his head at Arieshell. Her eyes closed, and the blanket covered most of her body, leaving her head visible.

He chuckled, "Goodnight, Your Highness. Sweet dreams."

Arieshell didn't say a word. All she did was make a cute sigh. Jacques uncovered his sheets and hopped into his bed. Gently, he shifted his gaze towards the small candle that flickered in the dimly lit room. With a soft exhale. He leaned forward and extinguished the tiny flame, plunging the space into darkness.

Jacques turned to his side, causing the big blanket to tug with him. He felt his eyes get heavy and yawned as he drifted into a deep sleep.

With a flick of an eye, the sun shined on top of him. Jacques groaned but sat up. He glanced at Arieshell and Gus's beds. They both were still tucked warmly in their beds. The sound of birds chirping made Jacques feel relaxed.

Is Belle awake? Quietly he pulled the sheets away and slowly stood up. Jacques exhaled as he stretched his sore arms. He needed that.

A soft-tapping noise caused Jacques's attention to go to the attic's door. It must be Belle. Not a second later, he went to the door. He was about to touch the doorknob but suddenly pulled his hand back. What if this was a trap?

Jacques pressed his right ear against the door. He took a deep breath and made two soft knocks. A faint shuffle sound made itself known.

Jacques bit his lip. "Belle, is that you?" he whispered.

He didn't want to wake Arieshell or Gus. Nevertheless, Jacques didn't desire to be greeted by Belle's asshole adoptive father and jeopardized Arieshell's secret of being a siren.

Over my dead body. Jacques thought.

"Jacques!"

"Belle?"

"Yes, Father has left early. Are Arieshell and Gus awake?" she asked.

Her sweet but gentle voice made him feel relieved. He didn't need to put a blow to Mr. Whershie's head.

"No," he replied.

Jacques heard Belle open the door. He took a step back as she walked in.

"Come with me downstairs. We can talk without interrupting their sleep," suggested Belle.

"Lead the way," he said, gesturing his hand in front of him.

Jacques followed Belle down the narrow wooden stairs and then a long hallway. Belle led him to another set of stairs, but these were bigger. Jacques followed her toward the back of the house, which had the dining room and kitchen.