Chapter 2 : Birthday Bliss

Start from the beginning

I nod as reply.
The shiny metal looks beautiful against his tender pale skin and hair.

"Thank you. I love them so much." He says with a tentative smile.

"Then wear them everyday. They suite you."

Luca has always been the more radiant one between us with his striking hair color, pale skin, and beautiful eyes.

I know this is a strange thing to say about an identical twin but my twin and I weren't born perfectly identical.

Although we share the same face, shape, statue we are vastly different. Luca has ash blonde curly hair with hazel eyes and I have curly black hair and light green eyes.

I don't know what strange turn in our DNA made this so but here we are.
Literally everything else about us is identical apart for our hair and eye colors.

At one point I thought that maybe Luca was albino maybe but I have long ago stop caring. Besides who really knows for sure since we're orphans. We never met our parents and we were raised in an orphanage.

And even though we were almost adopted countless times they always tried to separate us which was a major no no.

It's all a mystery to be honest. We literally can not be separated. But every-time we were adopted out we returned.

Then the second we were sixteen which is legal age of emancipation we both signed out of the home. We skipped out hand in hand while carrying our few belongings and never looked back.

It was never easy especially at the beginning as we moved from shelter to shelter. Everything was such a struggle then. We had zero stability which made keeping things and securing jobs and resources almost impossible. But eventually we did find help at Sacred Heart Convent.

From a literal fallen angel named Lily.

One particular cold night Luca and I weren't able to secure a bed for the night. We were so cold and our clothing didn't keep us warm at all. It forced us to just walk around most of the night just to keep warm. We had wondered into the small church that radiated with warm light.
Something about it called to us and we agreed to just go in to warm up a bit.

It was eerily empty apart from a kind faced nun with permanently rosy cheeks praying inside. She took pity on us and convinced the other nuns to take us in.

She is the closest thing we ever had to a mom. Since that night she has gone above and beyond making sure we had warm beds, clothes, and way too much food in our bellies. And soft spoken or not she even demanded we resume our studies at the Sacred Heart Catholic School.
It seemed to be of the utmost importance to her that we complete our education.
To thank her for all her kindness Luca and I worked really hard to graduate months ahead of our class.

Lily was a little disappointed we both would forgo walking with our class but she still surprised us with a graduation party for three. Of course Lily cooked enough food for like ten people but we didn't complain. Especially when she brought out two small cakes. Chocolate cream for me and lemon for Luca.

"It isn't our Birthday." Luca said even as his mouth watered.

Lily just shrugged, "I don't need a birthday as an excuse to celebrate my twins." She said simply.

Luca and I literally burst into tears and she had to hold both of us in her arms as we sobbed.

She didn't complain though as a content smile never left her lips.

After Luca and I graduated we both got jobs and pretty quickly moved out into a small one bedroom apartment. But we didn't have the heart to be to far from Lily.
We have grown quite attached to her after almost two years in her care.
So in the end we secured an apartment hardly a ten minute walk from the convent. We visit practically every other day.
We sorta have to cause Lily is the Head Cook and she's constantly making us food to take.
Enough so that our fridge is packed with leftovers we don't have the heart to toss away.