×84×

It had been months before Erica had found any clue to the whereabouts of her mother; months before she finally met someone who could assist.

"She is in there?" Erica stood before a large set of iron gates. There was a soft breeze blowing as it rustled through her hair and the trees around her.

"Yes," A frail voice beside her spoke, "You will find her beyond these gates. Just follow the path up the hill..."

Erica glanced up at the elderly woman, her warm eyes and gentle heart had been a guide during the roughness of her journey. She had learnt a lot from the woman beside her and would forever remain grateful.

"Thank you, Maeve. Thank you for everything." Erica gave a smile.

"Do not thank me child, I owe to both you and Katrina." Maeve smiled before turning to leave, her cane supporting her, "I will go and find your brother before he panics."

Erica took a deep breath and slowly pushed her palm against the iron gates. She was nervous but she was ready.

Maeve had taught her a lot about her mother and a lot about how similar she was to her after all, Erica had learnt that Maeve had been her mother's nanny.

It had been a stroke of luck when they stumbled upon her while searching for clues in a nearby town. The old woman had called out to her mistaking her for someone else and that someone was Princess Katrina.

Erica softly smiled as she listened to the birds and felt the long grass brush up against her. This place had been abandoned for decades but so had the surrounding village.

It was in ruins.

Although Ruria had fallen, its territories had been divided amongst its three neighbouring kingdoms. Aleric's kingdom in particular had managed to secure a stronghold on some of the larger parts.

Erica now stood both in the ruins of old Ruria and a territory held by Aleric. Although not many lived out this far, small towns and villages still remained occupying the liveable areas of its once majestic cities.

Erica paused just before she reached the top of the hill. Her heart suddenly ached in anticipation and unease.

She was about to meet her mother for the first time.

Could she really do it?

Of course.

Maeve had told her the story of her birth, how her mother never wanted to give her up but had no choice. She told stories of how Katrina held nothing but love in her eyes when it came to her little girl.

Erica smiled as she took the final step, "Hello mother."

She stopped before the beautifully carved stone, "It is me, your daughter. I am so happy to finally meet you."

A small tear fell down her cheek as she stared at her mother's engraved name but still she smiled and slowly sat down in front of the grave.

"I always wondered what you were like, and I was mostly surprised to find out that you were a princess." Erica looked out and towards the ruins of the village below while she played with the bracelet around her wrist, "A princess who enjoys a beautiful view..."

Erica remained up on the hill talking to her mother for a few hours. It felt so special to her, and it felt like a part of her could finally breathe.

Princess Katrina had died at a young age not even a year after giving birth to her little girl. Giving up Erica had all but destroyed her and she regretted it every second of the remaining days of her life.

She made the decision to run away and find her daughter after a month of starting her new married life. She was determined and unfortunately, she would not make it far.

The young princess was unfortunately caught in a night raid by a group of bandits that had been roaming the area. An arrow had pierced through her chest, and she was dead before her head hit the ground.

Her last thought was a silent prayer to protect her little Erica. A mother's love until the very end.

"I thought that I was the only one who still came up here." A strong voice approached.

Erica lifted her gaze towards the stranger. He looked no older than the Count Alvore but had softer and kinder features.

"You look just like her..." He gave a sad smile as he briefly studied her features, "You must be Erica."

"I am sorry... But who-?"

"Oh my apologies, I did not mean to be rude. I go by Johnathan and as to how I know her," He looked over the grave, "She was my wife."

Erica's eyes widened.

"I ran into Maeve a little earlier, she told me someone important to Katrina would be up here. I never expected it to be you." Johnathan smile never faded as he settled down next to her.

It wasn't long before the two began to talk. Johnathan reminisced his days that he spent growing up as a young boy with Katrina. They had been best friends up until the days leading up to the wedding when he knew something was very wrong.

It took him a long time to find the reason and before he could even begin to process it and offer support, she had run off.

He had been left completely heart broken when he learnt of her death and confined himself to solitude for many years after that. Johnathan never remarried and his family continued to support Katrina's until her last relatives eventually passed on.

"Erica!" Walter called as he ran up to her, a relieved breath escaping his mouth.

Erica and Johnathan were walking side by side as they made their way back.

Walter, who had been anxiously pacing for the past hour was almost tempted to run off after her, but Maeve would not allow it. She explained to the young Commander that his little sister need her space and Walter wanted to accept that, but he could not help but fret over her.

Erica smiled at the sight of Walter as she moved away from Johnathan before turning back to the kind man, "Thank you for loving her John and I am certain she loved you just as dearly."

The man gave a sad smile and nodded before bidding her a farewell and taking his leave.

When he was long out of sight, he looked back towards the hill where his beloved Princess Katrina lay overlooking the valley below.

"Erica is everything you would have wanted her to be and more. Your daughter truly is a mirror image of you... It broke my heart all over again to see you in her, I miss you so much Katrina." He smiled as he let his voice get carried off by the wind.

Johnathan passed away quietly in his sleep that night. His spirit moved on to reunite with his one true love and she was there to greet him with her beautiful voice.

He left his body with a smile on his face. It was the first time he had been happy in years.