×2×

Erica had been bed ridden for the next few days, spoon fed herbal soups and given teas by a maid servant. She was never once visited by any of her family members.

She understood why the countess did not visit as that women had never liked her to begin with. Erica was, after all, the product of adultery between the Count and an unknown maiden.

Erica knew nothing about her mother as all was covered up to keep the family reputation safe and she was made to believe that her mother had passed away. All that Erica had left of her mother's was a single pearl strung through a silver chain, a simple necklace. She cherished it deeply and so Erica hardly ever wore it in fear of the dainty piece of jewellery possibly being damaged, or worse- breaking.

The Count could not afford for his image to be tainted so he took Erica in and raised her hidden from the outside world, only allowing her to appear at certain events by his side. Rumours had sparked about the fourth child, but those flames were blown out just as quickly as they were lit. The Count and Countess Alvore never confirmed them and so the rumours eventually faded into embers, leading everyone to believe the Count would never lie with anyone that was not the countess herself.

Erica had three older half-siblings born of the Countess. The eldest son was Sorin, currently fifteen and next in line for the noble title of Count, behind Sorin was Walter who was thirteen and then there was Erica's only sister, Sibyl. She was older than Erica by one year, and both Sorin and Walter were very protective of her.

The three older siblings had slowly grown resentful of Erica, not only because of their mother's influence but jealously had arisen as she was undeniably the current favourite of the Count.

Sorin in particular had detested her, believing that if she did not exist, the Count would acknowledge him more and Sibyl would receive more of their father's attention, which he wholeheartedly believed she deserved. Sibyl would often cry to her brothers when her father refused to see her, opting for the company of Erica instead. She could never understand why he favoured Erica as much as he did.

Sibyl outright detested Erica, she always took her few belongings and occasionally got Erica in trouble for silly things. She believed that Erica was a spoilt, wicked child who had stolen her father from her. Sibyl wanted to be the favourite and thought she was much better suited for the title than Erica. Walter on the other hand, tended to avoid Erica but when they did encounter each other he would sneer and call her hurtful names when no one paid them any mind.

A minuscule part of Erica knew that her siblings were not fond of her, but the little girl still believed that she had a decent enough relationship with them to at least deserve a visit. She soon learnt how very mistaken she was. What saddened her the most however, was the Count. The eight-year-old waited everyday her father to visit, but he never did. Feeling all alone and in pain, she would often cry herself to sleep.

The day she was allowed to go down to the dining room for breakfast had arrived all too slowly for her liking. With the help of a maid, she cleaned up and headed down the stairs.

Sad to say, they had begun without her. She could hear their happy chatter and the soft clinking of cutlery through the closed doors. It hurt a little, but she did not want to dwell on it, so she took a deep breath and walked in.

The noises had seized almost immediately, and her family turned to observe her in silence, except for the Count who was nose deep in the morning newspaper. She was planning on making her way to her usual seat right beside the Count at the head of the table, only to find it occupied by Sibyl.

"Oh, my apologies, dear sister. I guess you will have to find somewhere else to sit." She innocently smiled but Erica could see the unmistakable glint in her eyes.