×55×

The Trencent ball was a prime example of the family's power and wealth in society.

This social gathering was attended by nobles from all backgrounds and parts of the kingdom. Over two hundred guests were in attendance at this grand event.

This ball was by no means unplanned, it was the twenty-fifth wedding anniversary of the Duke and Duchess of Trencent.

King Aleric had entered the ball room as one of the first to arrive. His attire simple yet clean which accentuated his features and over all charm.

He chose to arrive early as not to steal the focus from the main reason for the ball. He was well aware how much attention he drew to himself no matter how much he tried to avoid and ignore it.

Unfortunately, the charmingly handsome bachelor was now King. He held the most powerful position in the kingdom so eyes would almost always be drawn to him.

Many wished and fought for moments to speak to him when he was just crown prince but now that he had taken the title of King, it was like a crazed spark had ignited the animalistic desires in the hearts of many.

They were after the position at his side and the power that came with it. It was an added bonus that the young king had dashingly handsome features and offered a mysterious appeal to all those around him.

When Aleric was crown prince, he was renowned for avoiding appearing in public whenever it was unnecessary and now as his new reign as King, nothing much had changed. Unfortunately, this just made him more desirable and appealing.

King Aleric sighed miserably as he stood on a private balcony overlooking the busy dance floor below. He brought a gentle sip of red wine to his lips.

This was the first chance of privacy he had since the ball had begun. Every noble and their daughter had been introducing themselves to him forcing unwanted conversations.

Normally Aleric would politely excuse himself and find Louis and Walter where he would stick with them for the rest of the night ignoring everyone else, but unfortunately Louis had yet to make his grand entrance and Walter had gone off in a frantic hurry after they met earlier and had not been seen since.

Aleric brought the glass to his lips again as he gazed down at the dancing couples swaying rhythmically to the music. His thoughts trapped on the beautiful mute girl who he had learnt many important details of earlier that day.

Erica.

Erica Alvore was thought to be dead in a tragic accident only to be recently discovered to be alive. He learnt that the girl he held feelings for was his best friend's youngest sister and was for some reason hidden from the world.

From the few encounters that he could recall with her, he knew from her behaviour that this was not by choice. Not only did Georgie's earlier explanation confirm this, but the last encounter was also especially revealing.

His chest ached at the clear memory of her frightened face and injured hands that horrible day.

He wanted to punch himself for not stopping and holding onto her that day.

For not wrapping his arms around her and keeping her from leaving.

For not soothing her fears and tending to her injuries.

The more he thought back on it, the more he hated it. He carried a great sense of regret.

Many would excuse his slow reactions that day due to the emergency of his father's dire condition and later passing. Poor Aleric had to make the horrible choice of letting her go to rush to his father's side for the old King's final moments.

When Aleric thought back to that day, it was the worst day of his life. His whole world had been shattered at the death of his father and to top it off, it was the last time he had seen Erica too.

He was extremely worried about her so much to the point that he was anxious for any bit of information that could be provided on her.

Earlier when he had met with Louis, Georgie and Walter, Walter had explained everything he knew first. This had resulted in a firm hand across his face by an upset and crying Georgie.

Walter accepted this as the crying women weakly withdrew and looked at the floor, she too holding a great sense of remorse and shame. The slap stung her fingers, and he relished the feeling as more of a punishment to herself than to Walter.

Not much more information was exchanged as Aleric had been furious. He knew his anger would get in the way if he were to let Georgie speak again.

He needed to calm himself before he would do something he would regret and thus he took a step outside before any blood would be spilt. When he returned, they all were sitting in silence waiting patiently for the king.

Aleric whole demeanour had changed. He felt cold and calm. It was beyond frightening. Georgie had tried to speak again, she needed to tell him that it was the Countess, this was vital information.

Unfortunately, she was unable to as a servant interrupted them. The servant could sense the intense atmosphere in the room and wanted to run away praying that they would not be executed for their carelessness.

The servant carried orders summoning Louis and Georgie back to the Trencent Manor and a reminder that it was time for a very important meeting that King Aleric had with a neighbouring kingdom official.

Aleric wanted to postpone this meeting as he needed answers but unfortunately, he could not. The meeting was far too essential for a peaceful alliance to form to prevent war.

Being King was not easy. He had a duty to his kingdom and as much as he hated it with his entire being, he would have to wait a little longer for answers.

He vowed that the moment the Trencent ball was over, he would do everything in his power to find Erica. He would deploy his royal guard and offer every resource he could pour into the search.

He would find Erica.

He needed to.

No mercy would be shown to any of those who dared hurt her. He would personally see to it.

When he found her, he would ensure that she would be safe at his side where no one could hurt her.

He would protect her with all his power and the only way he saw best fit to do that was to make her his.

Erica would be his Queen.