Epilogue II - The one with the first date

"Come on, sweetheart. You said it yourself, we weren't dating before." Yes, I knew it. I'd been the one to put myself in this position, but now I didn't know how to escape it.

Chris hadn't been my boyfriend for the majority of our relationship - and I was still reluctant to call him that way, even despite his child growing inside my belly. And now he wanted us to actually date - even worse, to go on a proper date, because apparently, "that's what people in a couple do".

I wasn't too sure that I knew how to be a couple anymore. But I was scared of disappointing him. So I ended up saying yes to his idea of a date, hoping I would be able to remember how to behave even though I'd never been on this type of first date before.

"You look beautiful." Such simple words, yet their effect on me was instantaneous. I blamed the fact that I wasn't used to hearing Chris speak his mind so freely about me, even after the pregnancy.

"Thank you. You don't look too bad yourself." I laughed at his fake offended expression, but smiled at his own smile after he was done pulling my leg.

"Here, let me pull the chair for you." Ever the gentleman. I was afraid things would be awkward, even though we'd been talking everyday about the baby or other matters, but it wasn't weird at all to be with him in a restaurant, wearing a pretty dress.

"There's actually something I'd like to discuss with you." I raised an eyebrow at the seriousness in his voice, immediately perking up in curiosity. For all of his wonderful qualities, Chris wasn't a man who spoke seriously often, so when he did, it was impossible to ignore.

"I was wondering if you would consider moving in with me." Now, that was a shock.

"Chris..." I started, but he beat me to it immediately.

"I just don't want things to be too heavy for you," he explained, baffling me into silence. "It doesn't have to be forever, as much as I would love that. Just once the pregnancy starts making things difficult for you, and for the first few months after the baby's born."

"I really do believe it's the best option, and it would allow me to be around for the firsts, too." As much as it was difficult for me to admit it, the man had a point. So after taking a sip of water, I decided to tell him just that.

"Okay," I agreed, being rewarded by the most beautiful smile known to humankind. It was sweet and just enough for the moment, so we let it sit there, wrapping us both in contentment, as he held my hand in his and rubbed circles on my wrist.

"I told you that you looked beautiful," he interrupted the silence to say, "but the truth is that you look very hot as well."

And that's when I realized. It didn't matter how hard I tried to fight it, this stupid man had my heart, and he held it in his hands with a delicate touch I hadn't known in ages.

I wanted him. And I was tired of holding myself back, so I pushed myself up, out of the chair, and crossed the distance between us to capture his lips in a kiss that had my heart pounding against my chest.

"Fuck, you're perfect," he whispered after I pulled apart - but he didn't let me get away, instead pulling me to another kiss as I ended up sat on his lap, the dinner and the waiter forgotten as we lost ourselves in our first couple of kisses as an actual couple.

"I'm not gonna leave you," he promised once I was back at my chair, hand in his once more. "I'm never going to leave you."

And even though I wanted to doubt him, I didn't. I just let that beautiful moment exist as it was.