chapter xi

Y/N's P.O.V.

"Oh my God!" The exclamation surprised me, too focused on signing a few autographs to some fans who had recognized me. I would have expected it to be another one, but since the voice sounded to be from someone much older, I was unprepared to find Chris's mom, Lisa with her eyes wide as she stared at me.

"Oh my God! Chris, look!" She pawed at her son's shirt, while said son tried not to openly laugh at his mother's excitement, holding up his dufflebag in one arm while the other held onto a young boy's hand.

"Yes, ma!" He teased, eyes meeting mine with a peculiar glint in them. I could see it even from a distance, and despite the slight shadow his cap casted on his face. "I see her. Why don't you go talk to her?"

Lisa looked panicked suddenly, almost as if she only now realized I was staring back at her. I didn't hear her say no, but I did see her shake her head and turn around, reach for Chris's shirt almost like she intended to drag him away from me, and I had to stifle my own laugh.

"Hi, ma'am! I take it Chris didn't warn you I'd be joining your family on the trip." The way she froze was hilarious and I could see from the corner of my eyes that a man I recognized as Chris's brother, Scott, was now filming the entire interaction, so I tried to make sure not to make her feel embarrassed by controlling my own reactions.

"No, he didn't..." She acknowledged in the coldest tone someone could possibly utter, and I saw Chris's smile drop on the spot. Now, that earned him a few chuckles. "But oh my God! I can't believe you're really here!"

The difference in her voice was like night and day. She suddenly spoke in a much more shrill, even louder tone and I instinctively flinched but then snapped out of it when she threw herself at me, arms trapping me in the sweetest, albeit most suffocating hug I had ever experienced.

"Oh, you have no idea how much I love you! I am such a huge fan!" I smiled, letting go of my own suitcase to wrap my arms around her too. "I've followed your work since the very beginning, I showed the video of you singing in your husband's funeral to everyone I knew-"

She abruptly stopped, letting go of me to check my face for any expression of grievance, I imagined. "I'm so sorry, I..." But I immediately shook my head, raising a head to signal her that it was okay.

"It's been almost three years," I found myself repeating the familiar words I'd spoken countless times. "I've moved on."

I think it was the first time I meant it.

I could feel Chris's gaze on me. I knew he must have felt the weight of my words. In one way or another, he was the confirmation that I had, in fact, moved on, and he had a pretty great hand at making it happen.

Of course, his mother couldn't know that. So I tried to shake away the awkwardness by offering her a smile. "You know, I'm a huge fan of your work, too." I winked, knowing she wouldn't get what I was hinting at.

"What do you mean?" Looking up, I turned to meet Chris's eyes and then looked to check and see if Scott was watching me too.

"Well, look what wonderful sons you've raised! I haven't met the girls but I'm sure they're just as nice." And just like that, I was in with the family. I had always had a special talent at making those older than me become captivated, and I was always my friends's parents favorite whenever I was around.

"Shanna! Carly! Come meet Y/N!" I hugged the girls as they were introduced to me, but took particular joy in meeting the little people that would be with us during the trip. "These are my grandchildren," Lisa introduced them to me, and I immediately dropped to their eye-level so I could greet them properly.

"Hey, I'm Y/N!" The boy, Miles, looked at me with curious eyes, but his sister immediately threw herself in my arms, making me chuckle. God, I loved kids. "I'm excited to go to Disney with you guys. I've never been there before."

It took him a little while, but eventually Miles let me know what was going through his head. "You sound like the princess in that movie!" My eyes lit up, unbelieving that he had recognized me.

"Yes! That's me," I laughed, opening my arms again when he joined his sister in my embrace.

"Okay, I'm starting to get jealous, so I think it's time we get this train on the road." A warm hand clasped my shoulder, breaking me from my little bubble of adoration. Looking up, I found Chris staring down at us, a pout on his lips to guilt the kids into leaving me for him, but I could see the softness in his eyes.

"You're really good with them," he nodded in their direction once they ran away screaming in excitement, towards their parents. We were at the end of the group, walking side-by-side, close enough that we could talk lowly without anyone hearing it.

"What can I say?" I shrugged, faking boastfulness. "You're known for loving dogs, I'm famous for loving kids." I didn't turn to check on how he received my jest, but then I was forced to look him in the eye because his hand grabbed my forearm, turning me around to face him.

I realized what he was planning to do early enough to stop him.

"Chris, no!" I hissed, checking to see if someone had noticed him very clearly leaning down to steal a kiss. "We're in a public environment, with your family, nonetheless. There's no way we can get away with it."

The man had the audacity to pout, peering up at me from under those ridiculously long eyelashes of his, like I was committing a fucking crime. "Behave yourself," I whisper-yelled, trying very hard not to laugh at him. "Can't believe the biggest child of the group is you, for heaven's sake!"

His chuckled warmed me to the core, and it didn't take long for us to embark on the plane with our little group making a lot of noise. If Chris ever intended to take a seat next to me, that opportunity was stolen long before he could have voiced it.

"Over here!" His mother waved me over, pointing at the seat right next to her, and with a smile I assumed the spot she left me. We made idle chit chat as the plane took off, but before long she fell asleep, leaving me to finally unpack the book I'd brought for this precise reason.

I'd just opened up the first chapter when a napkin was dropped on my book.

"You look hot," read the little paper, and I had to bite my lip not to giggle at his behavior. "Chris, I'm literally wearing the baggiest clothes I could find so I could be comfortable on this flight," I turned to the side so I could whisper in his direction and still have him hear me, but he just nodded.

"Hot," he repeated, like that was a whole statement to counter my argument in itself. I rolled my eyes, ignoring him as I reopened my book right where his napkin had saved my spot.

But I made sure to keep it there, so there was no way I would lose it.

Chris's P.O.V.

"Did you seriously just slap my ass?" She admonished me, but all I could do was chuckle at her pretend angry expression. It was beyond adorable, as was her entire behavior ever since we landed in Orlando.

She looked like a little kid, staring with wide eyes and an open mouth at every little thing in the parks, and even the actual kids weren't as excited as her. Granted, they'd all been here before.

It was incredible to be able to witness her experiencing this for the first time. I knew I'd made the right call right when a tear rolled down her cheek upon seeing Cinderella's castle.

"It's not like I haven't done much filthier things to you before..." I taunted, leaning closer so I could tease her without anyone hearing me. "I've been thinking, would you let me fuck you there?"

She whipped around in a flash, but I was quick enough to catch her wrist before the slap was placed on my chest. "Would you stop it?" She asked, very clearly mortified at my choice of subject to chat while we made our way back to the hotel, and although I shook my head, I accepted her wishes at last.

For now.