chapter xxiii

A/N: Sorry for the lack of updates! As I've posted, I was hospitalized on Feb 4 and only got out of the hospital last Wednesday. Although I'm feeling better, this emergency opened my eyes to a lot of things... So keep an eye out for the updates I'll be doing in the near future! Thank you to each one of you who sent me a sweet message instead of pressuring me to update. You have no idea how much it meant to me.

Y/N's P.O.V.

I frowned when the doorbell rang, staring at Tom as if he had any answers to provide me. When he shrugged right as the bell sounded again, I scrambled to get to the door, trying to figure out who the hell was coming to visit me at 8 PM on a Friday night.

"Chris?!" I couldn't believe he was actually standing there before me. It'd been at least three months since I'd seen him last - since he'd left me on his bed and disappeared without so much as a goodbye. "What the hell are you doing here?"

It took him a while to answer, eyes trailing down my body and taking in the black slip dress I'd chosen to wear for the evening. I'd opted not to wear anything underneath it, so it made me feel extremely exposed, and it led me to hug myself in an effort to avoid his gaze.

That seemed to snap him out of it.

"I took the first plane I could get," he offered as if it explained anything. "Listen, I owe you an apology." At the scoff that instinctively left my lips, he just nodded. "Yeah, I know, I know. I'll get on my knees and beg you if I have to." I couldn't believe this was happening. And not in a oh-my-god-he's-finally-here, but in a holy-fuck-I-thought-this-wouldn't-hurt-this-fucking-much way.

"And while I'm down there..." His tone changed, snapping me out of my murder-y thoughts. "I bet I can do a couple of other things that can make you forgive me." God, the nerve of this man.

I didn't even feel angry anymore, just sad. I wanted him to leave, and I wanted to get back to my bed and cry a little bit, but I had a fucking date to get back to, so I took a deep breath and answered as civilized as I possibly could, "Yeah, now's not really a good time."

"Oh, come on!" He tried to argue, quickly grabbing the door before I could slam it in his pretty face. "Are you really going to act like this? Didn't I take care of you?" The nerve of this man!

"You mean, before you bolted?" The question denounced my bitterness, and unfortunately, that was the moment Tom decided to check up on why it was taking me so long to get back to the table.

"Dear, is everything okay?" I didn't miss the way Chris straightened up, entire body tensing at the sight of the other man behind me. "Oh, hey!" My date for the evening greeted him, flashing him a smile and reaching out to shake his hand. "Good to see you, man! I'm glad to know you're alright, considering... well, everything."

I knew Tom was referring to the pandemic, but I also knew Chris well enough to be aware that his mind would instantly go to us and the situation we were currently living in.

"Well, I'm going to leave you two to it," the British man thankfully said, squeezing my hip to let me know he was right there if I needed him. "It was nice seeing you, Chris." He nodded, but didn't reciprocate Tom's words as he watched him leave.

He only waited until his form had disappeared into my dining room before asking, "Tom's here?!" I didn't care for his accusatory tone one bit.

"Yeah, we're on a date," I deadpanned, just wanting to get over this already. The expression on Chris's face was priceless. It almost had me laughing, despite the anger I was feeling at the situation.

"When were you going to tell me?" He whisper-yelled, probably mindful of my date's presence. I had a feeling if Tom hadn't been there, he'd be full-on screaming at me, although one could argue there would be no reason for it had I not been on a date.