"What if I mind?"

"About her being around my family whom I only see a few times a year?"

"No. About you texting her back." I bite my lower lip, regretting the words that have just rolled off my tongue. Did I sound like a possessive and insecure teenager?

"Then I will take your objection into consideration," he answers carefully.

I don't even dare to guess what is going on inside his head right now. "Gosh." I rub my hand over my forehead. "I sound like a cavewoman. Of course, I'm not going to tell you to whom you can talk."

After several seconds of silence, his deep voice vibrates through the phone line, "If you really, truly have a problem with it, I'll give you my password and you can check my conversation with her."

Okay. Now I feel like a controlling bitchfriend. He hasn't even done anything wrong or cheated on me. He doesn't deserve this. This is embarrassing, beyond embarrassing.

"No. Please don't do that. I trust you. I was just...I don't know how to handle this. She still thinks that you two are the couple who are going through some tests and I'm the other woman here."

"You are not the other woman, and you know that."

"But people have different ideas about it. And I'm tired of hearing they gush over the same thing about you and Di...her. They even make a bet on when you two will get back together."

"Well, it's not going to happen. Let them lose money if they make a wrong bet. Maybe you should place your bet, too. You'll make some money out of it."

"It's not something to joke about."

"Okay, sorry." He clears his throat. "Again. You worry too much about what people say. They will always say something about other people's business, especially those who sit on the executive chairs. You should get used to this because this is the life we're going to have once we do this in the open."

"True, but still, it sucks." I jab my fork into the potato and bring it to my mouth mindlessly. "But please, talk to her. I think she needs closure or this won't end well. Plus, you gotta be honest with me that the way she reacted last Saturday made you sad, too. She needs to understand that it's time to let go and move on."

He sighs audibly, accompanied by the creaking sound of his chair. "You're right. The scene last Saturday was...rather painful to see. But it is how it is; I'm with you now." I hear muffled knocks in the background, followed by Ashton replying briefly to Andy. "I gotta go. Look, I'll talk to her to have some closure because this is what you want. Then we gotta rest this case. Deal?"

"Deal."

Days go by and there is still nothing from Ashton about having the talk with Diandra

Days go by and there is still nothing from Ashton about having the talk with Diandra. What can I say? He's not a guy with plenty of free time on his hands to fix his ex's problem. He can barely find time to see me, and we have to cut our phone conversation short because his schedule and my new work rhythm just don't match. Quick calls and sweet messages are the only evidence that we are actually together.